Français

non resident spouse without SIN number

Jina

My husband is non resident and doesn't have SIN number. I selected 'Net income only' and tried to enter basic information.

I put 000000000 in SIN number field, but what information I need to enter in Net federal income field?

He doesn't have any income in 2019.

Thanks.

Nawal,

Thanks for your answer. I have one more question.

What about the Net federal income field "Spouse - basic information"?

"Net federal income of your spouse (line 23600 of his or her return) OR net world income in Canadian dollars, if your spouse is a non-resident of Canada.
Warning: Do not use an estimated income below the actual. See help for more information."

Can I put $0 if my spouse did not work in 2019?

Thanks.

Hello, I have a similar question.

How about if I am a non-resident (staying on a 1year Working holiday visa and going back to my home country after it expires)
and married, but my husband is in my country and not coming to Canada ?

Should I follow the same steps as you mentioned above and indicate his world income of 2019 in CAD ?

Thank you.

• 10 months later...

Hello samuel ttm. I suspect the conditions of a visitor's visa would not make your spouse a resident for tax purposes even if they exceeded the 183 day period. Those visas may allow a stay of more than six months. That said you would be best to contact CRA directly. You might more specifically want to contact the International office of CRA.

• 11 months later...

I also have a non-resident spouse who has never lived or worked in Canada. In the "Spouse - Basic Information" section, do I need to declare her net world income for 2021 on my tax return this year, even though her income is not taxable in Canada and I will not be claiming the spousal benefit?