Français

Virtual Currency Transaction

mikecay

When reporting crypto currency gains of losses for an asset that was bough in multiple transactions and sold in multiple transaction do you report the average purchase price and sale price or do I claim it as first-in/first-out (FIFO) and show it as multiple transactions?

Hi mikecay.

That choice is yours. But once started you have to be consistent. In most cases you track your investment and determine the ACB as you make each purchase. That gives you an average, But really the choice is yours and you can use FIFO if you want. To support FIFO you would usually be considered as a business and doing day trading and therefore any gains and losses would be income. Using the average process you could be considered to be achieving capital gains or losses.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I'll be claiming crypto gains/losses as a business expense on a T2125 based on CRA definition.   I have a small business that I already do this for.    Would it be best practice to detail the income/expenses related to crypto trading as a separate business or just all under my small business?  

I.e.; in Ufile, would I do a separate T2125 section for the crypto business?  

Hi Nick123,

I assume that the crypto business is different than your other business. It would therefore be best to complete a separate business statement. You would use a NAICS code of 522390 instead. This allows CRA to distinguish the difference in the business types and could help prevent an increased review of your file. Just a suggestion.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Bitcoin transactions are messages like emails that are digitally signed using cryptography and sent to the entire Bitcoin network for confirmation. Transactions are public and can be found in a digital registry called a blockchain.
In essence, a transaction with BTC consists of three parts. The most important thing is to have the wallet data of the person you want to send the cryptocurrency to and know the exact amount. In addition, there are exchange for cryptex.net, which allow you to generate the amount you need if it is not on the account.
Good luck!

• 4 months later...

Hi, 

I have filled the required information in the Virtual Currency form, having a loss of about $5000. However, this does not add anything to my total refund when I click review. I read that we are eligible to get a refund of up to $3000. Could someone please tell me what am I doing wrong?

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/6/2021 at 11:18 PM, Nawal said:

Hi @arif.mcmaster, To report a gain or loss on your cryptocurrency transactions, please follow the procedure below:

1. In the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", select "Interview setup".

2. On the right-hand side of the screen, go to the "Investment income and expenses" group, check for "Capital gains (or losses) and capital gain history" and click on "Next" at the bottom of the page.

3. Return to the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", select the topic "Capital gains (or losses) & ABIL".

4. On the screen to your right, click on the plus sign "+" icon to the right of the line "Vrtual currency transactions".

5. Enter the information about the trans action. It is mandatory to indicate the "Date of disposition" as well as the "Proceeds of disposition", you should specify the ''Adjusted cost base of shares or property'', namely the cost of acquisition of the cryptocurrency the same way you should enter the cost of the ''Expenses incurred in making the disposition''.

6. In addition, if you have requested a ''Reserve on disposition'' you must specify it.

The net capital gain or loss will be reported by the program on Schedule 3 of the federal returns on line 13200 and, if applicable, on Schedule G of the Quebec returns, in the new "Virtual currency operations" section of Part A.

The capital gain will be reported on line 12700 of the federal return and, for Quebec residents, to line 139 of the Quebec return.

That is simply required, especially in the modern world. I also work to advance myself in this area, and recently, blockchain has captured my interest as well. And I discovered a resource that supports me in  https://icoholder.com/en/icos/ongoing . I'm delighted I discovered the appropriate source for this because I need specific directions and reviews because I'm new to this.

If you have incurred a loss, this will be mentioned in both the federal and Quebec notices of assessment.

Do all profits have to be reported in full?

• 11 months later...

If you're looking for information about selling Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs), I highly recommend checking out this insightful article on https://radiowesley.com/. It covers everything from understanding NFTs to the process of selling them, including tips for success in the NFT market. Whether you're a beginner exploring the world of digital assets or an experienced creator looking to monetize your work, this article offers valuable insights that can help you navigate the world of NFTs with confidence.