Français

Removing Dependant

Mejs

Hi,

How do I remove my daughter as a dependant and still maintain her information from previous tax returns such as unused tuition and charity donations?  I would also like it to keep her personal information such as her SIN number.  Does she automatically get removed as a dependant at a certain age?

Thanks,

Mike

Hello Mejs,

You can just leave her in the file (for prior year purposes) and delete from the current year, if no longer a Dependant.  Or just leave it and create a new file for her.   It is not automatically removed as Dependants can take various forms and types.

Thanks Geo123.  I don’t understand.  If I delete her from the current year, how will she access the previous years' info?

If I leave it and create a new file for her, how will she access the previous years's info?

Thanks

Hello Mejs,

On Tab 4 - Tax Return >> Summary of carryforward amounts  <---CLOSE to the bottom on left hand side

DONATIONS
Donations  (see details)

TUITION
Tuition and educations amounts
Tuition and educations amounts - Provincial
Interest paid on a student loan  (see details)
Canada training credit limit for 2023

Hi Geo123,

They won’t be carried forward if I create a separate file for her, correct?  I don’t want UFile to consider her a dependant any more but I want to carry forward her unused charity donations and unused tuition amounts to her tax return for next year.

Thanks,

Mike

• 1 year later...

Hi.  My 16 year old had a summer job last year and her father filled a tax return for her. Im trying to work on my tax for this year and it wont let me netfile if my depend has any income.  Not sure why or what to do.  Should I remove as a dependant if she has her own income now??