Français

Common law filing for the first time (Quebec)

My partner and I (no children) always filed as single. This year we are filing together since we live together now. For fun I still did our taxes separate and it had him owing $41.79 and me $832.17. Then when I did them together it has him getting back $333.78 and me owing $1541.75. Why such a huge difference? Also if I use the "Net income only" option would that change the numbers? If yes, under basic information it asks a few questions about income.....do I just enter the Federal income or do I also have to include Quebec income from 2023 and 2022 plus tax on split income adjusted income and all the rest of the questions. Does "net income only" change anything anyways?

Note I noticed that when we did our taxes together ufile added $2000 to my salary (pension income). He is retired and I am still working.

ufile net incone.JPG

You might want to have a look at the ‘pension-splitting report’ visible in the left hand menu, under Returns. Just below that is a ‘redistribution report’ which clearly shows what the receiver is owed relative to the pensioner that is splitting his pension.

After a period of 12 months of cohabitation, filing jointly is the only choice.