Français

Income earned in 2023, but paid to me in 2024 (so does not appear on T4A) - how to handle in Ufile

Good afternoon,

I have received a T4A from an organisation that I did some self-employed work for. I sent them three invoices for 2023. The third invoice was not paid until January 2024 so it is in my accounts receivable and I will declare it as income for 2023. However, how do I deal with this in U-file?

1) This year: Do I include the amount paid in 2024 in "fees for services (T4A Box 048) in 2023 even though this will result in that field being higher than the T4As received? Should I put the amount in a different income field?

2) Next year: What happens in 2024 when they send me a T4A for that amount? I won't be able to declare it as income because I will already have declared it for income in 2023. Do I reduce "fees for services (T4A Box 048) by that amount in 2024 and therefore have the field be lower than the T4As received?

(As an aside, I have added it to the balance sheet field in accounts receivable)

Sincerely,

RT

Thank you so much for your help. I think I am caught between a rock and a hard place. They insist T4As are issued on a cash-paid basis and I know I have to do accrual accounting. I think I will find a workaround so that I am ethically reporting in the correct year (add as other income and then declare as an expense next year) so my gross income is correct in the correct years.