Français

Deemed disposition upon death - Schedule 3 and form T1255

My dad owned his principal residence with my mom but he passed away in 2023.

1.  Do I have to report a disposition on his principal residence on the “Real Estate, depreciable property, and other properties” form (ie. fill in the Proceeds of disposition, ACB, etc.)

2.  Is the proceeds of disposition the deemed value from an appraisal on the property as it has not been sold?

3.  After I input the information in the above section (eg Proceeds of disposition = $1,000,000 and ACB of $900,000), I don’t see this info show up in the T1255 form?  Do you know why?

If the surviving spouse is still living in the same residence then:

Where the principal residence is transferred to the spouse or common-law partner of the person who died, or to a testamentary spousal or common-law partner trust:

• A principal residence designation for the period before death is not required in the Final Return
  • The deemed disposition of the property and any capital gain or capital loss is not required in the Final Return.

From: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/life-events/doing-taxes-someone-died/prepare-returns/report-income/capital-gains.html