Français

UFILE fails to include ON-BEN Rent Paid from Interview to Line 61100 in Return

I entered the ON-BEN Rent Paid information in the Interview, exactly as in previous years, but for the 2023 Return this information was not reflected in the Return.  So, I did not receive the ON-BEN Trillium Benefit which should have been paid on July 10th.  Who is going to fix this and how?

Thank you Geo123.  I used the link you provided and included the note as you requested.  I received a form response from "Yan", who if it is a person, clearly did not read my message.   "Yan"  I will try telephone support now.

The Contact page gives this number:

For telephone support, please call: 1-888-633-8414

That number is a scam number.  It is not UFILE.

This is very disturbing.

On 7/12/2024 at 3:51 PM, renzland said:

Thank you Geo123.  I used the link you provided and included the note as you requested.  I received a form response from "Yan", who if it is a person, clearly did not read my message.   "Yan"  I will try telephone support now.

The Contact page gives this number:

For telephone support, please call: 1-888-633-8414

That number is a scam number.  It is not UFILE.

This is very disturbing.

I would like to provide a status report.

First, I must confess that the phone number I dialed was actually 1-866-6333-8414.  This was my mistake.  I do apologize for my error.

Next, although I never received anything but form responses fro the UFile support people, and although even after I provided authorization to access my file, I believe that no one actually read my file in order to find out what actually went wrong.

Regardless, I eventually figured it out myself.  Here is exactly what happened:

It appears that:

I filled in the ON-BEN DECLARATION (of rent),

but NOT do the ON-BEN APPLICATION.

(and the UFile system did not see a problem with that, but produced my return and threw away the Rent declaration)

IMHO, there were four contributing sources of error:

1. The CRA tax form itself is obscure.

2. The UFile system implementation propagates this obscurity, rather than making it easier.

3. I made an error, by filling out the only form that referenced "rent", and not the form that did not reference "rent", but only things that seemingly did not apply to me, such as "property tax", "home owner", and "Northern Ontario".

4. The UFile system failed to make a sanity check, and instead completely threw away my orphaned "Declaration" form.  In my humble professional opinion, I regard this as extremely incompetent system design.  It provided no error nor even a warning message saying "Your Declaration form also requires that you fill in _this_ application form.

It also appears that UFile does not work well with the Safari browser, or with the DuckDuckGo browser.

The remedy is to submit a T1 adjustment to the CRA.   That involves 2 forms.  I hate forms.   UFile has no provision for that.

Hello renzland,

Thank you for your comments and observations.

Please note that you were advised on how to correct the issue on July 16, 2024.  Regarding your point "The UFile system failed to make a sanity check..." UFIle DOES provide a warning as shown below.

>>Complete ON-BEN - Rent paid but Omit Declarations

image.png

>>Review (Tab 3) - Review - /!\ Warnings

image.png

This is the final update (hopefully).  Thanks for reading and thanks for the help.

The problem was that I made the ON-BEN DECLARATION about the rent payment, but did not make the ON-BEN APPLICATION.

It would have been amazingly simple and wonderfully helpful, if UFIle had simply said:

"You made the ON-BEN DECLARATION, but you also need to click [YES] in the ON-BEN APPLICATION.

You can easily fix this: Just open the INTERVIEW page again, and select [CRA REFILE].  Then fill in the missing form, ON-BEN APPLICATION.

Then you will be able to use NETFILE to refile your updated return.  It's as simple as that.  Bonne Chance!"

Anyways, I did it.  It was a cinch.  I hope this may be helpful to others. 🙂