Jump to content

Moving Credit - Split between spouses?


Recommended Posts

Hello forum members,


Just wondering for some advice on properly filling out the moving credit.


We (my spouse and two children) moved from Kingston, Ontario to Halifax, Nova Scotia last year for my wife to accept a new job. In Kingston, I had the primary income. My wife was in school so her income was minimal. It will be advantageous for us to claim the moving costs, about $15,000 against my income even though we moved for her job (I have also since picked up a job here but that was not the primary reason we moved).


In order to claim the moving credit, should I enter all of the moving costs under my profile, or does it really matter and MaxBack will decide where it is best allotted even if I enter them all under my wife's?


Just wondering for some quick advice.


Thanks so much! Derek

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi derekkingston,


You may be eligible to claim moving expenses if, during the tax year, you move to be at least 40 kilometers closer to your your new place of work or business.

Certain rules apply regarding the moving expenses incurred during the tax year, and we encourage you to carefully read the T1-M (as well as the TP-348 for residents of Quebec).

You may consult the T1-M form via the following link:


We also recommend that you consult the websites of both the Canada Revenue Agency and Revenu Québec for more information.

Website address for the CRA (federal):


Website address for Revenu Québec:


In addition, if you want to use the simplified method to claim your travel expenses and meals, consult the following link:


To claim the moving expenses, please follow the steps below:

1. In the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", select "Interview setup".

2. On the right-hand side, go to the "Other topics" group, check the box for "Moving Expenses" and click "Next" at the bottom of the page.

3. Return to the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab" and select the "Moving Expenses" and on the screen to the right, choose the appropriate option.

Please note that moving expenses can only be claimed in respect of earned net income due to relocation.

The deduction for moving expenses will be carried over by the program to line 219 of the federal return and, for Quebec residents, on line 228 of the Quebec return.

Federal form T1-M and Quebec form TP-348 will be generated by the program.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...