Jump to content

Can I claim moving credit for my spouse's move?


Recommended Posts



Just wondering for some advice. My family moved from Ontario to Nova Scotia last September for my wife to start a job here in January. We have about $15,000 in moving credits. The catch is my wife didn't actually start working until January so she didn't have an income to claim. I continued to work remotely for the company in Ontario when we arrived in Halifax. So my question is, even though we didn't move closer to my workplace, we moved for my wife to accept a new job, can I still claim the moving credits against the income that I brought in from the time we moved in September until December 31? Hoping so...because Nova Scotia taxes are a heck of a lot higher. Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites



You may be eligible to claim moving expenses if, during the tax year, you move to be at least 40 kilometers closer to your your new place of work or business.

Certain rules apply regarding the moving expenses incurred during the tax year, and we encourage you to carefully read the T1-M (as well as the TP-348 for residents of Quebec).

You may consult the T1-M form via the following link:


We also recommend that you consult the websites of both the Canada Revenue Agency and Revenu Québec for more information.

Website address for the CRA (federal):


Website address for Revenu Québec:


In addition, if you want to use the simplified method to claim your travel expenses and meals, consult the following link:


To claim the moving expenses, please follow the steps below:

1. In the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", select "Interview setup".

2. On the right-hand side, go to the "Other topics" group, check the box for "Moving Expenses" and click "Next" at the bottom of the page.

3. Return to the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab" and select the "Moving Expenses" and on the screen to the right, choose the appropriate option.

Please note that moving expenses can only be claimed in respect of earned net income due to relocation.

The deduction for moving expenses will be carried over by the program to line 219 of the federal return and, for Quebec residents, on line 228 of the Quebec return.

Federal form T1-M and Quebec form TP-348 will be generated by the program.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As the move from Ontario in 2016 was for your wife to start a job in Halifax, only she is eligible to claim Moving expenses.

She cannot claim any expenses in 2016 as she has no income in that year related to her new job.


However, as explained in Form T1-M, page 2


"Unused moving expenses available to carry forward to a

future year (line 24)

If you are an employee or self-employed and your net moving

expenses (line 21) paid in the year of the move are more than the

net eligible income (line 22) earned at the new work location in that

same year, you can carry forward and deduct the unused part of

those expenses from your employment or self-employment income

you earn at the new work location and report on your return in the

following years."


Your wife will be eligible to claim the carried-forward moving expenses in her 2017 return against her income in her new job.


All the data pertinent to the move should be entered in your wife's 2016 return.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a similar situation.  


I am employed seasonally on a Fee for Service basis as a tour guide for an Ontario company.  I moved in September 2016 from NS to BC.  My new company has their head office in Boston.


My new Fee for Service employment (with the Boston contract) won't begin until May 2017. Additionally, my tours occur in various places across Canada including BC and NS.


Should I file the moving expenses for 2016? Am I even eligible to claim moving expenses?   Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...