Français

Children's Fitness Expenses

The Houses

I am trying to properly enter the details and expenses for my children's fitness expenses.

THe first line asks: "Eligible fitness and recreational expenses for this dependant" with two fields beside it.

What am I to put in these two fields?
Skating (and location) ? Sport + Amount?
Do, I just list each and every activity type?

And is the "Enter the amount to claim" to be a grand total of all activities being reported?

And finally, what is the maple leaf button for? How is it different from the +/- buttons beside it?

image.thumb.png.8778a2ace70037b38fac19229ac927aa.png

Hello The Houses,

Amount for fitness and recreation for children - Federal lines 458 and 459

The federal government amended the "Amount for fitness and recreation for children", a refundable credit, effective as of January 1st, 2016.

The maximum eligible amount respecting the refundable "Amount for fitness and recreation for children" will be reduced from $1 000 to $500 in 2016.

The supplemental amounts for children eligible for the disability tax credit will remain at $500 for 2016.

Please note that for the tax year 2017 the "Amount for fitness and recreation for children" will be eliminated.

However, for 2015, the "Amount for fitness and recreation for children" will remain available for those who forgot to claim it.

We invite you to consult the following link:

http://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/programs/about-canada-revenue-agency-cra/federal-government-budgets/budget-2016-growing-middle-class/childrens-fitness-arts-tax-credits.html

The CRA guide states that "the child must be under 16 years of age, or under 18 years of age if entitled to the disability amount, at the beginning of the year".

The fitness and recreation expenses must be entered in the file of the dependant who incurred the costs. To do so, please follow the steps below:

1. In the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab" section of the dependant's file, select "Fitness and recreation". This item will appear only if the dependant is eligible for this credit.

2. Enter all relevant information regarding the activities and the fees that were paid.

3. If you wish, you can share the credit between you and your spouse. To do so, you need to complete the second part of this page.

The refundable credit will be entered by the program at line 459 of the federal return.

Antoine,thanks for the response, but you just restated what is in the help file and on CRA and that isn't what I'm looking for. 

As I mentioned, I am looking for what information is supposed to go in the two boxes in the image provided - not rules on child fitness expenses. 

2 hours ago, Antoine7 said:

2. Enter all relevant information regarding the activities and the fees that were paid

Your response here is where I was hoping for an example - ie. Skating | $300 or is it Skating | The Frozen Hockey Rink ?

I should have been more clear. 
You're showing the 2017 version (shown below in my 2017 return). 

image.png.9a712e50ca85be8f078902d65ad41101.png

It's actually the 2016 return format that was causing me confusion:
image.thumb.png.b74932509fb8ce7bdeb1f360c189c20a.png

I was trying to figure out:

1. Do I split out all activities separately? Is there a benefit of doing so?

2. Is the "Enter amount to claim" field at the bottom expected to be a total of the items entered above?

3. What is the "Canada Flag" icon for? It makes another field appear, but I have no idea what to put there or why the button is even available. Click the "for more info" link doesn't even reference this button or the additional field (https://secure.ufile.ca/T1-2016/help/en/kb/hf_458.htm

In the end, I didn't utilize the Canada Flag option, I did the above (broke out all activities separately with their own amounts), and then provided a single overall total in the Amount to Claim field (although, I would expect UFile to automatically total that for me - or give me an option to claim all or a portion and if just a portion, have me enter the amount). 

Hoping I did that right...thanks Antoine for your help.

Cheers,

The Houses

image.png

mcamci - do you have dependents entered in your return yet? (Ie. child 1 has a tab at the top)

if not, you won’t see the options. 

The options are to be entered under the child’s information - not the parent. You’ll see the option once you create the child section. 

I had had the same issue originally. 

Did you create a section for that dependent? 
For us, we have 4 sections (me, spouse, child 1, child 2) across the top. 
Should be set up during the interview set up questioning if you answered everything properly.

And remember, the fitness credit goes under the Dependent's details, not under your details. So, you'd need to finish your interview and data input and then move to the child's profile/section and you can get the details entered under the child.

Archived