Français

Box 16 is blank, Box 24 is 0.00 = unable to file. Help Plz. :)

I have 2 T4 slips from the same employer.  One is for the school year and the other is for teaching summer school.

Summer School T4

Box 14 has an amount

Box 22 has an amount

Box 26 has an amount

Box 44 has an amount

Box 24 has 0.00

and all other boxes are blank including box 16

These are the following messages I am receiving

CPP/QPP contributions

You have employment income and are not exempt from paying CPP/QPP contributions. You should normally enter your CPP contributions (Box 16) or QPP contributions (Box 17) in your T4 slip. 

You entered $0.00 for EI insurable earnings as per your T4, but this has been ignored by UFile as box 28 does not indicate that you are EI exempt. 

You have employment income and are not exempt from paying CPP/QPP contributions. You should normally enter your CPP contributions (Box 16) or QPP contributions (box 17)in your T4 slip.

Feedback would be extremely helpful. 

Much appreciated.

I too am getting a similar message and it will not allow me to Netfile.   I have entered the amount required as per box 14 and box 26 (same amount).  There are no amounts to enter for boxes 16 and I am not exempt.  I have tried various entries such as entering $0.00 in box 16, deleting the entry in box 26, etc.  all of the different configurations return even more messages.  The only one that returns the one message is by entering the amounts shown in box 14 and 26 with the following:

Message - You reported employment income without specifying any pensionable earnings or CPP/QPP exemption.

So I contacted HR and this was the response

You can try entering the box 14 amount in Box 24.  The CRA changed the rules a few years back.  It used to be that if Box 24 and 26 matched Box 14 they would appear blank.  However, most recently  they changed the rule and instead of leaving Box 24 and 26 blank they will print with the same amount as box 14.

She suggested entering box 14 amount into Box 24 amount. I did this.  There is also another post in this general form by Dave in which he suggests entering 1 cent (.010) into both box 16 and box 17.

When I do all of the above, I get no error messages.  I am very uncomfortable entering this kind of info to circumvent an obvious bug in ufile.  From what I have read on the internet there are many folks having the same issue.

I would still like insight from others.

O/K I just followed the most recent suggestions by inputting $0.01 into box 16 and it now allows me to file.  Thank you for that suggestion. 

As to being uncomfortable with changing the amount I would not worry about the $0.01 making any notable difference in the greater scheme of things.

Short version: Me too.

Details:

Same problem here. T4 has amounts in Box 14, Box 24, Box 26, and Box 18, but no others, i.e. the employer states that I have CPP pensionable earnings, but they did not deduct employee CPP contributions.

Note that the earnings in question are very small (less than $250) ... but regardless, UFile is not letting me file, as others here have reported.

I'm also uneasy about entering $0.01 in Box 16 ... might such a weird amount raise a flag with CRA?

I still would not worry about the $0.01 being entered and here is my rationale:

If you go to the CRA, MyAccount site and look at your previous assessments you will see that all the income and deduction amounts have been rounded off to the nearest dollar. At least they have been in my case, going up or down depending on whether the cents were over or under $0.50.  That is why I would not worry about the $0.01 being entered.

Archived