Jump to content

World Income Before Becoming A Resident of Canada


Recommended Posts


If you are a taxpayer who has immigrated to Canada during the current tax year, to determine whether or not you are entitled to claim the full value of deductions and credits on your tax return, you need to report the income you earned from both Canadian and foreign sources. To do so, please follow these steps:

1. In the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select "Interview setup" page.

2. On the right-hand side of the screen, check the box for "Immigrant, emigrant or non-resident taxpayer, you are a Canadian resident and your spouse immigrated to Canada in the tax year" and click "Next" at the bottom of the page.

3. Return to the "Left side menu on the Interview tab" and click on the new item "Immigrant, emigrant, non-resident".

4. From this new page on your right, select the option that applies to your situation. In this case, you should select "You immigrated to Canada in 2017".

5. On the new page that is displayed, ''Immigration to Canada'', enter the essential information on the lines that are preceded by a red asterisk '' * ''. If you have no earned income, enter $ 0,00. Although the other lines are not considered essential, if you earned any income, enter the amounts. However, if you earned no income, do not enter any amount and just leave the fields blank.

If you have immigrated to Quebec, return to the "Left side menu on the Interview tab". Select the "Quebec drug insurance plan" page and then "5 - Exceptions, Quebec insurance plan, part of the year" from the drop-down menu on your right. Click "Next" at the bottom of the page.

6. On the new page that appears, select the option "Other - Immigrant/Emigrant" in the drop-down menu and select the month(s) during which you were not in Canada (Quebec).

You can file your federal return using NETFILE. However, for your Quebec return, you need to print your return and send it to Revenu Québec.

For more information regarding newcomers, visit the following links:

For the CRA :


For Revenu Québec :


Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...