Français

Rental gross and Rental Expenses, Do I need to declare half of it?

flash_os

Hi flash_os,

Rental income - Multiple owners

If the rental property is owned by a partnership, one of the partners in the company could be either your spouse or other people.

To report a rental income, follow the steps below:

1- In the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select the item "Rental income" and in the page on your right, choose "T776 - Rental income property".

2- Return to the "Left side menu on the Interview tab" and choose the item "Partners".

3- In the screen on your right, you have two (2) choices, "Spouse co-owner of this rental property" or "Other partner or co-owner of this rental property".

4- If your spouse is co-owner, you have two options in the drop-down menu: "Generate rental income statement for spouse" or "Do not generate rental income statement for spouse".

5- If you choose the first option, it is not necessary to enter information about the building in your spouse's file. Nevertheless, the program will generate the federal Statement of Real Estate Rentals, and the Quebec equivalent form, in the case of Quebec residents.

6- However, if you have different expenses, you should select the second option and the program will not generate the Statement of Real Estate Rentals automatically, in which case you must enter the complete information relating to the rental property in your spouse's file.

7- If none of the other partners is your spouse, you must choose "Other partner or co-owner of this rental property" and enter the name, the address, SIN as well as the share of ownership. The program will prorate the income and expenses. The partner must enter into his or her own file all the information relating to the property.

8- Please note that in the page "T776 - Rental property identification", the percentage that you must enter in the fields for "Percentage interest in the partnership" and "Your share (%) of ownership if other than 100%" should be identical.

9- Usually, the owner of a rental residence does not claim any depreciation on his property, to do so under the sub-heading "CCA" of the building go to the line "Limit to the CCA or the CECA of this class" and enter $ 0.00 or the amount you wish to claim.

10- If you provide movable property, such as refrigerator or other, you can claim CCA on these items because it does not increase the value of your building.

We suggest that you must keep all required records and supporting documents for your rental property for a period of six years.

For more information regarding rental income, please visit the following CRA link:

www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/personal-income/rental-income-line-126-net-line-160-gross.html

8. Please note that in the page "T776 - Rental property identification", the percentage that you must enter in the fields for "Percentage interest in the partnership" and "Your share (%) of ownership if other than 100%" should be identical.

Thank you for such detailed answer.

In my case most suitable is: Generate rental income statement for spouse option.

So I need to fill 50% since me and my wife own it 50/50, correct?
And no T776 on my spouse page, right?

tax 2017.u17.png

• 1 year later...

Hi there, 

We are also trying to claim a rental suite as per T776 but my wife also needs to claim use of a home office. Our rental takes up 1/3 of our total home and our home office takes up 7% of the portion of the rest of our home. When inputting costs associated for both - should i just be inputting the totals for things like property taxes, utilities etc or am i supposed to calculate all these as a percentage of the total home first? 

thanks in advance. 

Hi there, 

We are also trying to claim a rental suite as per T776 but my wife also needs to claim use of a home office. Our rental takes up 1/3 of our total home and our home office takes up 7% of the portion of the rest of our home. When inputting costs associated for both - should i just be inputting the totals for things like property taxes, utilities etc or am i supposed to calculate all these as a percentage of the total home first? 

thanks in advance. 

Archived