Jump to content

How to claim eligible Tuition tax credit? - PLEASE HELP


Recommended Posts


I want to use the tuition to offset the taxes I owe of $500. How do I do that?

I entered the tuition amounts in the Tuition tab, yet the calculation still shows I have $500 of tax owing.

This has to be a mistake because when I decreased the tuition amount for this year by $8k, the amount of tax owing did not change. This only means that the software is not claiming any tuition tax credit for me.






Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is very frustrating. Maybe we can help each other, bc the ufile online support is a joke. all automated responses and so general. Are you doing the page for tuition transfer from a child whose return is not processed? or is this your own tuition? 

I am looking from help on my WSIB T5007. It is adding it to my regular T4 income to give me a very large income. Which is not correct. Do you know why it adds them together when WSIB is repayment to my employer, not me and is not ADDED INCOME.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello M123,

Workers' compensation benefits - T5007 slip

To enter the amounts from your T5007 slip and your RL-5 slip, please follow the steps below:

1- In the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select "Interview setup".

2- On the page appearing on the right, go to the "Employment and other benefits" group, check the box "Social assistance, workers' compensation (T5007/RL-5)" and click "Next" at the bottom of this page.

3- In the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select "Social assistance, workers' comp.".

4- On the page that appears on the right, click on "RL-5/T5007 - Workers' compensation benefits, social assistance, etc.".

5- On the page that is displayed, enter the amounts from the slips in the appropriate fields.

The eligible amount will be entered by the program on lines 144 and 250 of the federal return and, if you are a Quebec resident, on lines 148 and 295 of the Quebec return.

For more information on this topic, please consult the following links:

For the CRA:


For Revenu Québec:


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for that info, but I already received that. I know how to input it, but why is it making my income so high and giving me a huge return.  I didn't make 2 incomes as they repaid my employer, so why is it adding 2 incomes?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Antoine would you be able to tell me how does a person usually use their tuition to reduce their income?

Does Ufile automatically reduce taxable income when you enter the tuition amount??????????? Please i need to know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the screen shot that you sent is exactly how I did it. Unless your income is too low, it won't make a difference if you deduct the tuition or not. That is why people will transfer to other ppl because parents/grandparents/spouses can use it- as they have higher income; otherwise it is pretty much useless. But it looks like you have unused portion which can only be carried forward by you. Why don't you try to carry forward some of that money to offset what you owe, to at least bring the balance owed to $0.  I think you can carry forward $5000. 

If your numbers are correct, you have HUGE tuition amounts to carry forward. Not sure how that happened unless you are an international student. Anyways, hope some of that helps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...