Jump to content

Rental Property


Recommended Posts

First year with a rental property. I added it under my account with co-owner with spouse. When I review messages I get an error: You entered 0% as your share of the ownership of a business. There is a link to fix the error but it just says loading... no page loads.  Where do adjust my ownership to be 50%?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello lbootland,

Rental income

To enter information about your rental income, follow the steps below:

1. On the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", select "Interview setup".

2.  On the page that appears on the right, go to the "Rental income" group, check the box "Rental property income" also if you paid tax by instalments. Then go to "Tax paid by instalments and tax transfer" group, check the box "Tax paid by instalments and tax transfer" and click "Next" at the bottom of the page.

3. Return to the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", select "Rental Income".

4.  On the page that appears to your right, click on the plus sign "+" icon to the right of the line "T776 - Rental Income property".

5. Complete the first page entitled "T776 - Rental property identification". On the line for "Percentage (%) of personal use of your rental property", enter your personal use portion of the building. If you do not live in the building, leave the field blank.

6. Please indicate whether you are sole proprietor or co-owner of the property, to do so, go to the "Type of ownership of the rental property" line and select the option that suits you best from the drop-down menu. Then, on the line "Percentage interest in the partnership" enters your percentage.

7. On the next page, enter your income and expenses in relation to this property.

8. If you used the services of a professional contractor to repair your building, use the sub-section "Labor costs" to enter the relevant information. Please make sure in this subsection that the amount of repair has not already been entered in the expenses beforehand: make sure to choose the appropriate option from the drop-down menu for the line "Do you wish to add these labour costs as an expense on the income statement".

9. If you want to claim depreciation for your property, click on the "CCA" sub-section and select the appropriate class, usually Class 1.

10. On the page that appears, enter the relevant information. If you do not want to claim depreciation, go to the line "Limit to the CCA or the CECA of this class" and enter "$0.00". However, if you wish to claim a portion of the depreciation or any other amount, it is limited to the maximum amount of this category. Please note that you cannot claim CCA when you have a rental loss.

11. If you are the co-owner of the building with your spouse or other partner, click on the sub-section "Partners", and on the page to the right, choose your option.

12. If your spouse is a co-owner of the rental property and completed his or her tax return along with yours, there is no need to enter the information in your spouse's file, as it will be transferred by the program and form T776 will be generated. The same applies for a resident of Quebec and form TP-128 will be produced by the program. However, if your spouse wants to claim expenses different from yours, all the information will then have to be entered again separately in his or her own file. For all other business partners, they will have to enter the information in their own file.

Forms T776 (federal) and TP-128 (Quebec) will be generated by the program.

The amount of rental income will be reported on line 16000 (gross) and line 12600 (net) of the federal return and, for Quebec residents, on line 168 (gross) and line 136 (net) of the Quebec return.

For more information, please consult the CRA website at the following link:



For Quebec residents, you can consult the Revenu Québec website at the following link:



Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hello -  The rental net income amount on line 12600 Ufile is calculating is lower than the net income amount I get when filling out a T776 form (outside of Ufile).  Is there any additional deductions Ufile include in the calculation that I might be missing on the T776?   Net income on the T776 form is 172.10 for each my spouse and myself (total $344.20).  Net income on line 12600 is $30.28 each.   Thanks for the help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...