Français

Residency Status Change

Patrycja

Hello,

Hoping someone can assist with a residency change part way through the year.

Was a Canadian Resident until July 2 2019 and then moved to the USA, however, continued to COMMUTE to Canada and all income is CANADIAN sourced income including a Canadian Rental Property.

T4 slip - Do I used the full year income and deductions or do I break out to only the income while a Canadian Resident?
T5 slips/T3 Slips/ Dividends Year End Slips - are these including in the Canadian Tax Return as Well even though at end of year no longer a Canadian Resident?

Basically - DO I enter ALL of the information in FULL even though I was only a resident for 1/2 the year and the program will decide?

Thank you for your assistance!

Hi Nawal,

Thank you for the note.  I have already completed these steps. 

I guess the question is beyond the technical aspect of it.

T4 slip - Do I used the full year income and deductions or do I break out to only the income while a Canadian Resident?
T5 slips/T3 Slips/ Dividends Year End Slips - are these including in the Canadian Tax Return as Well even though at end of year no longer a Canadian Resident?

Basically - DO I enter ALL of the information in FULL even though I was only a resident for 1/2 the year and the program will decide?

Thank you 

14 hours ago, Patrycja said:

Hi Nawal,

Thank you for the note.  I have already completed these steps. 

I guess the question is beyond the technical aspect of it.

Thank you 

I'd also recommend proactively calling the Canada Revenue Agency to further discuss your residency status (for tax purposes) with them.

Thank you for the reply.

CRA has advised through a very lengthy conversation on how to handle. 

However, one thing I did notice is that it is not generating a provincial return and CRA was very specific to say I have to choose the appropriate PROVINCIAL tax package. 

How do I overcome this as I was not a resident of Ontario at Dec 31, 2019?

Thank you!

On 5/15/2020 at 12:55 AM, Trent Tax said:

I'd also recommend proactively calling the Canada Revenue Agency to further discuss your residency status (for tax purposes) with them.

Thank you for the reply.

However, one thing I did notice is that it is not generating a provincial return and CRA was very specific to say I have to choose the appropriate PROVINCIAL tax package. 

Thank you!

Thank you for the reply.

Thank you!

• 7 months later...

Hi Patrycja. I know this response is long after your initial post. I just joined the forum this week.

You need to be aware that as a non resident you may be required to file a Section 216 tax return for Canada for the rental income. Take a look at this link    https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/t4144/income-tax-guide-electing-under-section-216.html#P153_11899

I did not see anyone suggest this, but you may already be aware of the requirement.  There are several things you need to do to not fall off side with the rules and filings prior to completing the Section 216 return.           

Archived