Jump to content

T4 Box 67 transfer to RRSP

Al S

Recommended Posts

I'm having a problem with accessing Schedule 7 when having an amount of retirement income from a T4 on box 67.

CRA requires Schedule 7 to be completed when using Box 66 or 67. If I use box 66 instead, Schedule 7 becomes available. If I use Box 67 (from the T4) Schedule 7 is not available.

I would be OK if Schedule 7 would come up automatically or if there is a way to invoke it manually as an override. What can I do?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Al S.

Did you make any contributions to an RRSP?

Box 67 is a non eligible retiring allowance, while Box 66 is an eligible retiring allowance.

An eligible retiring allowance can be transferred to an RRSP in whole or in part and you do not need to have any RRSP eligible room to do that. Those transfers don’t affect your RRSP eligibility.

The Box 67 non eligible retiring allowance however can not be transferred to an RRSP if you do not have sufficient eligibility.

Schedule 7 will pop up when you report Box 66 amounts if you transfer amounts into an RRSP from an eligible retiring allowance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, I found it - thank you. My problem now is the amount from Box 67 is showing as Other Income on Line 130 and therefore I’m being taxed an insane amount. This is for the 2017 tax year.

I did enter the RRSP amount in 2016 because I received it in the first 60 days of 2017. I didn't use any amount and carried it forward to 2017.

How/where do I enter so Box 67 isn’t recognized as income and I can carry it forward as needed?


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good Morning,

Yes, I entered my RRSP data (Contributions to an RRSP or PRPP/VRSP) but at the top of that page it says: Do NOT enter transfers to your RRSP or PRPP/VRSP here. For more information on transfers, click here.

When I click on the link, this is what it says:

If you entered a transfer to your RRSP from a T-slip, do NOT also enter the amount in fix.pngRRSP contributions, limits. Otherwise the amount will be doubled up.

The program isn't giving an option to transfer amounts from Box 67. It's only allowing transfers from Box 66. (T4 - Statement of Remuneration Paid)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi dejosh. If you received a non eligible retiring allowance and its recorded as a Box 67 amount you can't record a transfer to an RSSP. You have to enter contributions in the data area for RRSP information. Box 67 amounts contribute to your income but in order to reduce the income you need RRSP eligibility plus RRSP contributions. If you have 2016 unused RRSPs as per your 2016 Notice of assessment make sure they are entered as unused in the data area along with any current 2017 contributions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I entered the eligible retirement allowance of $12000  in line 66 but the program still says in RRSP that I over contributed by 12,000.  Is that a glitch?   

Thanks Nawal!!    I thought it looked like a way the program handled it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 9 months later...

Hi I rec’d a retiring allowance box 66 $16,000 and box 67 $31,447 both amounts were forwarded to bank by company for rrsp purchase of $47,447 in July, 2021

I entered both amounts under the eligible and non eligible amounts.

Under Contributions to RRSP it states not to enter transfers to your RRSP which it mentions if you enter portion of box 66 amount would be doubled up.

How do I report the transfer of the $31,447 in box 67under the Contributions to RRSP?  I have the contribution room of $45,645.





Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Hi all, can someone confirm my understanding of how RRSP transfers of eligible (box 66) and ineligible retirement (67) amounts should be entered in UFile?

Box 66 (eligible): My understanding is that entering the transferred eligible amount records using the T4 input window "automatically" includes the eligible RRSP transfer on Schedule 7 with nothing further to be entered in UFile.

Box 67 (ineligible): My understanding is that there is no way to enter an ineligible transfer using the T4 input window, and users must enter any transfers of ineligible retirement amounts to an RRSP using the "normal" RRSP contribution window in UFile. Even though the "normal" RRSP contribution window has a bolded message telling users not to enter transfers on this window. 

It's this message that has me confused - I'm pretty sure that UFile requires any Box 67 RRSP transfer using the method I've described above.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello BomberFan67,

1 - In the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", click on "T4 and employment income".
2 - On the right-hand side of the screen, select one of the first two options, either "T4 and RL-1 income earned in Quebec" or "T4 income (earned in any province except Quebec)" as per your situation, and enter the information found on your T4 slip in the appropriate boxes.
3 - At the center of the page, you will find the fields to complete for boxes 66 and 67. For "Box 66 - eligible retiring allowances (RL-1 Box O (RJ)" , enter in the field on your right the amount shown in Box 66 of your T4 slip.
4 - If an amount was transferred directly to an RRSP/PRPP, enter the amount transferred to an RRSP/PRPP in the field "Portion of Box 66 transferred to a RRSP/PRPP".
5 - However, if this amount was transferred within the first 60 day of 2022, also enter the amount in the section entitled "Portion of Box 66 transferred to an RRSP/PRPP (From the unused RRSP/PRPP contributions of January and February 2022)" .
6. If an amount is transferred directly to an RPP, enter that amount on the line "Portion of the box 66 transferred to an RPP".
7 - However, if no portion of the amount in Box 66 was transferred to an RRSP or RPP, either by you or by your employer, leave these two lines blank.
8 - On line "Box 67 - Non-eligible retiring allowances (RL-1 box O (RJ)", enter the amount shown in Box 67 of your T4 slip.

Note to residents of Quebec: If the amount in Box O of the RL-1 slip is different from the sum of amounts in Boxes 66 and 67 of the T4 slip, click on the "Maple leaf" icon to the right of the line to generate a field for another jurisdiction and enter the amount in Box O of RL-1.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...