Français

How to enter Releve 1 if Ontario Resident working in Quebec

Dilum

How do one enter a Releve 1  and T4, if you live in Ontario but work in Quebec? Which form to select in Ufile? What boxes do I fill ?

There's no option that I can find. Everything says you must enter that you work in Quebec .

I work for the federal government in Quebec and live in Ontario and they issue us an Releve 1 and T4

Thanks for any help.

Hi Nawal,

Thank you for the information. I entered as per instructions for income earned in Quebec with QPP contributions and entered in Box 10, select the province of employment as 'Quebec'  But now I have to pay to federal government, why?

This raises few questions,

1) My pay (Gross and the net income) did not change for past few years, and I got a refund every year while I was working in Ontario, only my work place changed from ON to QC in 2020, how come I have to pay now?

2) I entered both boxes for Income tax, T4 box 22 and Relave-1  Quebec income tax withheld box E. Why am I paying income taxes twice? 

3) What information do I need to enter  for "Ontario tax and credits" ? What is the required information, if applicable?

4) When I went to 'review' in Ufile , I see that non refundable tax credit , basic personal amount is $13,229.00 for 2020. But I worked in Quebec in 2020, shouldn't it be Personal amount for Quebec taxes as $15,532? if yes, how do I change it in Ufile?

5) Where can I see this form RC381 pertaining to the inter-provincial calculation. what is the purpose of this form?

6) Are there any other tax credits I am missing as a result of my workplace change from Ontario to Quebec?

Thanks for any help

Dilum

• 1 year later...

Hello Curtis travis,

(1.) How to stop them

You must contact your employer and inform them of your situation

(2.) Resident from another province working in Quebec

If you worked in Quebec in the current taxation year but resided in another province (e. g. in Ontario), you should have received two tax slips: a Federal T4 slip and a Quebec RL-1 slip.

In order to enter the information found on these slips using the program, please follow these steps:

1. On the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", click on the line "T4 and employment income" and, on the screen located on the right-hand side, first select "T4 and RL-1 (Relevé 1) income earned in Quebec with QPP contributions" or ?T4 income earned in Quebec with CPP contributions? depending on your situation

2. Enter the information from the T4 and the RL-1 slip and, from the drop-down     menu of Box 10, select the province of employment;

3. If you have an amount in Box J of the RL-1, ignore this amount as it is a taxable benefit that can be claimed as a medical expense in Quebec only, while for residents of other provinces/territories this amount cannot be claimed as a medical expense because the premium has been paid by the employer;

4. Return to the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab" and select "Ontario tax and credits" (or from any other province of residence as appropriate) and enter the required information, if applicable.

By clicking on the "Reviews" tab, you'll notice on line 43700 of the federal return that the amount of total income tax deducted corresponds to the Box 22 of the T4 and Box E of the RL-1 slip. Furthermore, in the "Review" tab, you may see the following "Warning": "The pensionable earnings entered for a T4 exceed the amount of T4 income". Please ignore this warning.

The program will generate the Form RC381 pertaining to the inter-provincial calculation of the CPP and QPP contributions and overpayments.

Thanks for that information but it doesn’t pertain to me… I live and work in Ontario.  I haven’t entered Quebec in years.  My employers head office is located in Quebec.  I do not work in Quebec. For some odd reason because my employer doesn’t have an office in Ontario i am charged all the taxes as if i work in Quebec.  

On 2/20/2023 at 7:30 AM, Curtis travis said:

Thanks for that information but it doesn’t pertain to me… I live and work in Ontario.  I haven’t entered Quebec in years.  My employers head office is located in Quebec.  I do not work in Quebec. For some odd reason because my employer doesn’t have an office in Ontario i am charged all the taxes as if i work in Quebec.  

That's just how it is with the Federal. You can request that your head office be changed to one in Ontario. I've been trying to do that for 2 years now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2023 at 1:05 PM, Geo123 said:

Hello Curtis travis,

(1.) How to stop them

You must contact your employer and inform them of your situation

(2.) Resident from another province working in Quebec

If you worked in Quebec in the current taxation year but resided in another province (e. g. in Ontario), you should have received two tax slips: a Federal T4 slip and a Quebec RL-1 slip.

In order to enter the information found on these slips using the program, please follow these steps:

1. On the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", click on the line "T4 and employment income" and, on the screen located on the right-hand side, first select "T4 and RL-1 (Relevé 1) income earned in Quebec with QPP contributions" or ?T4 income earned in Quebec with CPP contributions? depending on your situation

2. Enter the information from the T4 and the RL-1 slip and, from the drop-down     menu of Box 10, select the province of employment;

3. If you have an amount in Box J of the RL-1, ignore this amount as it is a taxable benefit that can be claimed as a medical expense in Quebec only, while for residents of other provinces/territories this amount cannot be claimed as a medical expense because the premium has been paid by the employer;

4. Return to the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab" and select "Ontario tax and credits" (or from any other province of residence as appropriate) and enter the required information, if applicable.

By clicking on the "Reviews" tab, you'll notice on line 43700 of the federal return that the amount of total income tax deducted corresponds to the Box 22 of the T4 and Box E of the RL-1 slip. Furthermore, in the "Review" tab, you may see the following "Warning": "The pensionable earnings entered for a T4 exceed the amount of T4 income". Please ignore this warning.

The program will generate the Form RC381 pertaining to the inter-provincial calculation of the CPP and QPP contributions and overpayments.

Thanks for this detailed explanation. My situation is somewhat different, does this still apply to me. See my situation below: 

1. I worked in Quebec b/w January and May of 2022

2. I Joined a new company and relocated to Ontario from July 2022 till date and still live in Ontario. 

Question

1. I use autofill to import my tax data from CRA, and its not showing all the taxes I paid while working in Quebec, should I manually enter it and which section of Releve 1 should I be entering this amount? 

2. Can I still use Netfiling from Ontario within Ufile or you will need to print and mail to CRA? 

3. My kids school already issued tax papers for the fees paid, can we submit these as well now we are in On?

Thanks in advance.