Français

Getting error 31 when filing tax for 1st time, I verified all the SIN info

OISSA

I am filing the tax for the 1st time. The NETFIle electronic submission was rejected. I verified several times all the info and it is correct.

The message is:

The information sent to the Canada Revenue Agency doesn't match the identification information currently on record, which was provided by Service Canada when your social insurance number was issued. If you still get this error after your second attempt, please call the Canada Revenue Agency's Individual income tax and trust enquiries line at 1-800-959-8281 for further details. Note: Your account will be locked after five unsuccessful attempts.

I have the same issue and I am filing taxes for the first time as well. I am doing it through wealthsimple tax. My spouse's was submitted successfully, but I am getting this same error: CRA NETFILE result code 31. Not sure what's wrong. Tried calling the number as in the error message, but the call is not getting connected. It's always busy and they are disconnecting.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had this same error, called the CRA, no help, called UFile, no help.
Now I looked better at the error.

• Step 5: Netfile.
  • Clicked on the Federal link there.
  • Now it shows me the error code and gives me an option to file again.

However, between these 2 sections there is a sneaky little line.
Something like, if you have a middle name you need to provide that as CRA needs it for first time filers
So I filled that in, tried to submit again and it worked!

Hope this helps someone

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2021 at 7:30 AM, Akash said:

I have the same issue and I am filing taxes for the first time as well. I am doing it through wealthsimple tax. My spouse's was submitted successfully, but I am getting this same error: CRA NETFILE result code 31. Not sure what's wrong. Tried calling the number as in the error message, but the call is not getting connected. It's always busy and they are disconnecting.

Hi! just want to know if you resolved this error 31? I experienced the same error now. Can you please share with me how you resolved this? Thanks!

Hello, I have the same problem with result code 30. 

I don't know if it's related my SIN change as I got mY Permanent Resident Card last year in September. So I updated Service canada and they issued me a new SIN, my old file with service canada under the old SIN hasn't been transfered .... 

I don't know what to do now... 

Hey gang, I am also seeing the error code 30. I wonder if this is related to an address change as I see my old address on my Service Canada Account, but my CRA shows the most recent. 

That said, I was able to submit my taxes last year through Turbo Tax even though my address was different. Wondering what the issue is...

• 1 year later...

Oí just as a little heads up for a solution that may help.

The cra system is very sensitive with spelling and information.

Have the document that states ur sin near. This is because u will want to enter information like name and apartment/address in a format that looks similar to it. FOR EXAMPLE IF UR NAME IS IN ALL CAPS IN THE SIN DOCUMENT (that got mailed to u) then u need to do exactly that. Also pay attention to the document to see if they didn't give u a middle name but instead placed it in the first name row.

(By the way I used HR block and this was my first filing too)

I had the same error and the issue was around my middle name.
Ensure that your first name, middle name, and last name details match how you provided them while applying for SIN.

Apparently while applying for the SIN, I had provided my middle name as a separate field.
While filing the tax return, I tried including the middle name in the first name field. Hence the error.

(SOLVED - ERROR 31)

I had the same issue. I have a middle name, but since in my passport it's usually stated together with the first name, I tried to put both together, only with the first letters capitalized (Xxxxxx Aaaaaaa Yyyyyyy Wwwwwww), but it didn't work. What worked for me was to follow the suggestions I found here:

1. Fill exactly like in my sin number letter (in my case, in CAPITAL LETTERS)

2. Not include my middle name (Aaaaaaaaa), as in my sin number letter this is not included (the agent only inserted my first name and family name, like the following example)

Prénom / First name: XXXXXXXXXXX

Second(s) prénom(s) / Middle Name(s): 

Nom(s) de famille / Family Name(s): YYYYYYYYYYYYYY    WWWWWWWWWWWWW

If none of this works, although it's not as convenient as the online submission, you can also print your tax return already filled and send it in person (https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/corporate/contact-information/where-mail-your-paper-t1-return.html).

Hope this helps.

• 9 months later...

SOLVED!

In most of the cases the issue was in the personal details. Check your Name/Address/SIN  

check your SIN document to verify how details are mentioned for example in my case on SIN document:

Prénom / First name: 
Second(s) prénom(s) / Middle Name(s): 
Nom(s) de famille / Family Name(s):     JHON DOE

So I put in the name in same order and issue resolved.

unnamed.png

Name.png

visit my website: https://codelone.com

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all above!!
The spirit is the be as percise to the T as possible. 

This was my first time doing taxes in Canada.
My wife's return got through pretty fast.
But mine was also stuck at error 31 for quite a while. 
I tried changing names and address to ALL CAPS but to no avail.

So after some hard examination with the original SIN documents,
I decided to try and insert a space in the middle name bracket. 
The thought being "spaces" wouldn't show in print.

It got accepted immediately. 
What can I say.... just another possibility worth trouble shooting.