Français

Deceased in 2021 but can’t use Ufile for 2020

Perry

Using Ufile for windows

Filing 2020 Return:  Taxpayer died in Feb 2021 (my Dad) so he does not get Climate 
Action Incentive.  As per Ufile instructions, entered date of death, memo, 
and no in questions asked.

Now ufile will not let me Netfile due to being deceased.  I understand the 
final return which will be in 2022 for 2021 has to be mailed but why does 
this one?

I found a note on the Climate Action incentive and it says if you die before April 2021 you don’t get the incentive.

And when you look that up it tells you what you need to complete.  And that’s where it asks for death date so it can remove it.  And then ufile says I can’t Efile because he’s deceased. Crazy!

i copied and pasted the info about it here:

Please note that you cannot claim the payment for Climate Action Incentive for a person who passes away before April 1 2020.

To indicate the date of the death of a person, in his file, select the heading, "Interview setup" and in the page to the right check the box of the line "Tax return for a deceased person".

On the page titled "Deceased taxpayer", enter the date of death and on the line "Type of return for the year of death" from the drop-down menu choose "Deceased taxpayer next year (Memo)" in the third line answer "No".

A dependant cannot be a person over 18 years of age.

For more information, please see the new "Schedule 14" that will be added to the tax packages for these provinces.

If you file your returns separately and you want your spouse to receive this refundable credit. Go to the bottom of "Interview" and select the "Controls" section.

On the page titled "OptiMax Controls", under "Schedule 14 - Climate Incentive" go to the line "Who Should Claim the Climate Incentive (line 449)" and from the drop-down menu choose the person who should receive this refundable credit.

For more information, please see the new "Schedule 14" that will be added to the tax packages for these provinces.

• 3 months later...