Français

Netfile went through but then an error - result 16 code

Lee8888

I received my return but my wife hasn't.  It's been 14 days since the date we filed online through ufile.

So I filed my wife's return first and it went through.

I then tried to file my return and I thought I clicked on my name but I was still on my wife's tab and filed hers again.  It came back indicating "The Canada Revenue Agency's records indicate that your 2020 tax return was already received."

However Prior to my double file it indicated accepted and gave me a confirmation code for her return.  

So I went a head and clicked on my tab and submit my return and it went through fine.

Now when I look at both of our Filing Status mine shows File accepted and hers shows File Rejected.

Any ideas? I assume the second submission was rejected since the error states that we have already filed the return.

Also under Acknowledgment Report it shows the following with the date and time and confirmation number.  

This report only applies to electronic submissions for 2020. The transmission date and time, and the confirmation number will be automatically displayed upon a successful submission.

Should we be worried?

• 1 year later...

Hello JTam,

Error code(s): 16 Your records with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) indicate that you are filing an income tax return for the first time. Please indicate in your software that you are filing an income tax return with the CRA for the first time, enter your first name and initial and your last name and retransmit your return

The CRA will present you with the following error (NETFILE code 16), when it believes that you've never filed a Canadian tax return, but you have indicated a prior return

On 4/28/2023 at 6:55 AM, Geo123 said:

Hello JTam,

Error code(s): 16 Your records with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) indicate that you are filing an income tax return for the first time. Please indicate in your software that you are filing an income tax return with the CRA for the first time, enter your first name and initial and your last name and retransmit your return

The CRA will present you with the following error (NETFILE code 16), when it believes that you've never filed a Canadian tax return, but you have indicated a prior return

Where should I indicate in the software that I am filing an income tax return with the CRA in the first time?

I got a reference that I file my tax return. What should I do? Thanks

On 4/28/2023 at 6:55 AM, Geo123 said:

Hello JTam,

@Geo123

Where should I indicate in the software that I am filing an income tax return with the CRA in the first time?

I got a reference that I file my tax return. What should I do? Thanks

Hello JTam,

Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) questions

Language of correspondence and of tax return 
Are you filing an income tax return with the CRA for the very first time? Yes  < - - - HERE
Did you own foreign property in 2022 with a total cost over CAN$100,000? 
Did you sell a principal residence in 2022?
Are you an officer or a servant of another country, such as a diplomat, or a family member or an employee of such a person, who were exempt from tax at any time in the taxation year?
Answering "Yes" to this question, you will not be eligible to the following credits:
- Canada workers benefit, Schedule 6,
- Climate action incentive "CAI" (PE, NL, NS, ON, MB, SK and AB residents only)