Français

2021 Ufile is allocating my T5 income to my husband and it IS NOT a joint account

dingers

I can't for the life of me figure this out. I enter separate T5 income for both myself and my husband. The program is automatically allocating both amounts to my spouse. The dividend received is NOT joint therefore I did not click the box to indicate percentage owned (so it should allocate 100% of our own T5 to the person who's return it is on?).  When I tried for the hell of it, indicating that my husband owned 50% of his, it still kept my amount on his return and only 50% of his dividend on his. It still did not allocate any of the T5 income to me!

It have used Ufile for years and never had this issue and we have had these same T5 dividend income every year.

Help appreciated as to why the program is doing this or how to rectify the correct allocation of T5 to the person it was for.

Thank you so much! This makes sense, however it seems with Ufile there is no way to have it NOT do this to see what the difference is if it not automatically transferred. I wish there was a way to turn on or off the "optimization" for dividends, because there is for other things like medical. Seems like I have to assume this way is better even though there is no way for me to verify.

Look closely at each schedule you fill out as there is usually the option to select to not transfer. But that said if it is transferring it is usually the best outcome. However it is nice to be able to see the difference for reassurance. The Ufile software is the little sibling of a major commercial tax prep software used by many accountants and is very robust.

3 hours ago, TheTaxSmith said:

Look closely at each schedule you fill out as there is usually the option to select to not transfer. But that said if it is transferring it is usually the best outcome. However it is nice to be able to see the difference for reassurance. The Ufile software is the little sibling of a major commercial tax prep software used by many accountants and is very robust.

I did go over each schedule and can't see anything about transferring. I even emailed Ufile who didn't have any useful info for me at all. They told me to click the 100% ownership for a joint account to see what would happen. Nothing changed. then they didn't respond again. Ufile is great if you've used it many years but not helpful if something is out of the ordinary.

I had completed both mine and my husband's taxes for 2021. We have a partnership business and pension income. I did the change in the Control section so he would no long have to pay CPP contributions (due to his age and his wishes), however after submitting both our taxes, he has now been reviewed and asked to pay. When I double checked our paper work the Schedule 8 that I requested under his name came up under my tax paperwork, even though I didn't request it and I am not eligible yet. Did Ufile have an error?