Français
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Claiming Rental Income on Co-Owned Property

Hi there - I am filing income taxes for a rental property for my very first time this year. If my husband and I co-own the property do we both claim the same income and expense amount totals on each of our returns? Or do I divide the amounts by 50% and enter them that way? (For example, annual rent collected was $10k, so do I report $10k on each of our returns or $5k on mine and $5k on his? Same goes for the expenses. We are filing taxes jointly). Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

When you're completing the information part of the rental property, it asks you if you are a co-owner, and if yes, your spouse; also asks you to indicate the % split between the co-owners.  Indicate all that and the software will automatically take 50% of all income and expenses as you add each of those into the spreadsheet.

Thanks - so just to clarify, if the amount is $10k, do I enter 5k under each person or the full 10k amount under each person? One answers says the system will automatically calculate 50% and another one says to enter 50% myself.