Français

T1032

JimJ

T1032 is used to transfer pension income between spouses. I let the s/w "optimize" our combined returns. But it produces a large refund for one and a roughly equal amount owing on the other return. How do I access the T1032 so that the refund & owing are both reduced?

JimJ

Look for the pension splitting analysis form when you calculate your return. It indicates the benefit for the pension split. If it indicates a net over all reduction in tax for your family then all good. It does happen that due to similar incomes and deductions being shared that the difference might be minimal. To test you can turn off pension splitting but the program is usually working in your interests no matter how small that is.

• 10 months later...

How does Ufile determine who is the transferring spouse for the purposes of Form T1032 filing? I selected splitting pension income for both myself and my spouse in the T4 and income pension option.  Does Ufile automatically select the transferring based on minimizing family taxes? Or do I have to specify the transferring spouse in the software?