Français

Ufile not claiming eligible dependent - but should

I cannot get Ufile to claim eligible dependent credit. Family head has no spouse and lives with & supports two adult 'children'. Daughter is 19, has income of less than $10k. Tuition credits transfer to mom but Ufile is not claiming child as eligible dependent on Mom's return (which it did last year). I went to Controls in Daughter's file and selected her as eligible dependent. Still nothing. Help.

Dependent minor child is up to 18 but when an adult has no spouse and financially supports a son/daughter or parent, they can claim the eligible dependent credit if the financially-dependent's income is less than the basic personal credit (a bit over $13k).

If you have a spouse with little/no income (again, below basic personal exemption), you get the same credit. The eligible dependent simply gives the same treatment to unmarried people similarly supporting another adult financially. They used to call it "equivalent to spouse" credit. But it absolutely does apply to this situation.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/deductions-credits-expenses/line-30400-amount-eligible-dependant/you-claim-amount-eligible-dependant.html

Hey UFILE, why is your software not functioning properly for this credit?

From the link you report:

In addition, the dependant must also be one of the following persons by blood, marriage, common-law partnership, or adoption:

• your parent or grandparent
  • your child, grandchild, brother, or sister under 18 years of age 
  • your child, grandchild, brother, or sister 18 years of age or older with an impairment in physical or mental functions

or

For the purposes of the eligible dependant credit, the dependant may be your parent or grandparent, or a child under the age of 18 who is your child, grandchild, brother/sister through birth, adoption, marriage or common-law partnership.

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/claiming-the-eligible-dependant-credit-5107

19 hours ago, TheTaxSmith said:

Hello AudraFast. In your daughter's file, Interview section, did you respond to the question is your child an eligible dependent.

Yes, in the Interview Section, Controls subsection I have answered "Yes" to the question "Should this person be treated as a dependent by the program" and selected "Family Head to Claim" for the question "Claim this dependant as the eligible dependant on federal line 30400?".

In my situation, my daughter is under 18 years and she makes less than $10,000. Ufile is not including anything on line 30400 in my tax return and there is no schedule 5 generated.

None of those really apply, as I am the family head, didn't pay support for the child, and there is no spouse or common-law spouse in the household.  Is it possible the software is considering her return as making the claim for this amount since her employer deducted taxes and she is filing a tax return?

• Someone else in your household is making this claim (each household is allowed only one claim for this amount, even if there is more than one dependant in the household)

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

My mother (age 86, fully dependent on me) and I have been filing our tax returns separately for years. Last year there were substantial amount of medical expenses and I know that I can claim her medical expenses tax credit. Is there a way for me to claim her medical expenses on Ufile but continue to file our returns separately as before? Or the only way is to first add her as my "dependent" in Ufile before filing the returns? Please help.