Français

Ontario Staycation

Alex44

Hello Alex44,

ON479 - Ontario staycation tax credit
The GST / HST number is a required field for the Ontario Staycation credit as per the CRA.  
The accommodation expenses must have been paid by you, your spouse or common-law partner, or your eligible child, as set out on a detailed receipt provided by a supplier registered for the Goods and Services Tax (GST)/Harmonized Sales Tax (HST).
https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-staycation-tax-credit#section-4

• 3 weeks later...

The B&B we stayed at said that because they are small enough (<$30,000 over 4 quarters according to the CRA website) they did not register for GST/HST number.  Accordingly, they do not charge HST and do not have an HST number (just a registered business number). https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/businesses/topics/gst-hst-businesses/when-register-charge.html

Can we make the claim and Netfile?

• 2 weeks later...

I have some of the HST numbers for my stays, not all list HST # on receipts. For those where I do have number the system isn't accepting the format as they appear including an Ontario campground. One place was booked through Hotwire and it has a CST number, again the system won't accept the number. Is this a problem number issue or Ufile?

Thanks for your help

• 1 month later...

trying to claim staycation credit, on form ON479 I am asked for HST # which I got from my receipt.  Software will not accept this #. Says it is the wrong format, but it is # right from my receipt and same format as other receipts from other companies, One letter(Upper case) followed by nine numerical digits. What is wrong here?