Français

Security Option Deduction

RamboTax

Hi, I am trying to file my taxes where my employer legal entity is in BC while I am a resident of QC. Because of this I only got T4 and no RL-1. I have an entry for security option in Box 39 as 20,000$.
When using UFile to file my tax, it add security option deduction on line as `24900 Security options deductions - $20,000.00` and for QC it shows `297Miscellaneous deductions - $10,000.00` i.e. its only using half of the total value as deduction for QC.

But if I use WealthSimple to do my taxes, for Federal 
it add security option deduction on line as `24900 Security options deductions - $20,000.00` and for QC it shows `297Miscellaneous deductions - $20,000.00` i.e. its uses full value for both Federal and QC.

Which one is correct here as I will have significant tax difference if I use one over the other ?

Hello RamboTax,

For QC the security option deduction is equal to 50% of the value of the benefit if one of the following conditions is met:

The benefit is deemed received for a stock option granted after March 13, 2008, by a small or medium-sized business (SMB) that is an SMB engaged in innovative activities for the calendar year in which the stock option is granted.
    The benefit is deemed received for a stock option on listed shares granted after February 21, 2017, to an employee of a corporation whose salaries and wages subject to the health services fund contribution total $10 million or more for the calendar year that includes the time the stock option agreement was reached or the time the shares were acquired.

If neither of these conditions is met, the security option deduction is equal to 25% of the value of the benefit.

https://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/businesses/source-deductions-and-employer-contributions/special-cases-source-deductions-and-employer-contributions-in-certain-situations/taxable-benefits/list-of-taxable-benefits/other-benefits/security-options/deduction-for-stock-options-of-a-corporation-other-than-a-ccpc-or-options-to-purchase-mutual-fund-trust-units/