Français

AFR won't work for UFile for 2020 and earlier now that Internet Explorer is gone

CJRed

I'm filing 5 years of returns for a client and had no problem with AFR for 2022 and 2021. I get to 2020, and after I hit download, IE opens up, promptly closes and Edge opens. When this happens, I get an error message stating "Error: The web browser has been closed before the completion of the process". 
I have checked that the UFile software is up to date (it is), and restarted my desktop. Because the software defaults to a dead program I cannot get any farther on this clients tax returns. 

Hello CJRed,

For before 2021

The CRA "Auto-fill my return" service for 2020 and prior years requires Internet Explorer 11.

Internet Explorer 11 is a built-in feature of Windows 10, so there is nothing you need to install.

To open Internet Explorer, select "Start" , and enter "Internet Explorer" in Search . Select "Internet Explorer (Desktop app)" from the results.

If you cannot find Internet Explorer on your device, you will need to add it as a feature. Select "Start"-> "Search", and enter "Windows features". Select "Turn Windows features on" or "off" from the results and make sure the box next to Internet Explorer 11 is selected. Select OK, and restart your device.

NOTE: Internet Explorer can be also found if you click on "Settings" menu of Edge

2 hours ago, Geo123 said:

Hello CJRed,

For before 2021

The CRA "Auto-fill my return" service for 2020 and prior years requires Internet Explorer 11.

Internet Explorer 11 is a built-in feature of Windows 10, so there is nothing you need to install.

To open Internet Explorer, select "Start" , and enter "Internet Explorer" in Search . Select "Internet Explorer (Desktop app)" from the results.

If you cannot find Internet Explorer on your device, you will need to add it as a feature. Select "Start"-> "Search", and enter "Windows features". Select "Turn Windows features on" or "off" from the results and make sure the box next to Internet Explorer 11 is selected. Select OK, and restart your device.

NOTE: Internet Explorer can be also found if you click on "Settings" menu of Edge

This feature is already turned on. The problem I'm having is that Windows is closing IE to open Edge before I can download any tax information. When that happens, I get the error message on UFile. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello JohnA,

UFile Windows - Auto-Fill Return (AFR) :
We have updated UFile 2018 to UFile 2020 to use Microsoft EDGE which uses Edge WebView. (we no longer use Microsoft Internet Explorer 11).  Note that this also applies to the AFR for 2021 and 2022.
If you are receiving error messages, for AFR, relating to Internet Explorer (IE11) you should uninstall and reinstall your current versions of UFile 2018 to UFile 2020.
Download the latest versions here :
UFile CVITP
>>Previous Versions: 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011.   
Click on the year for the installation file required.
https://www.ufile.ca/products/cvitp

You should also verify if Edge WebView  has been installed :
C:\Program Files (x86)\UFile 2020\DTWebViewApp\bin\Release

If it is not installed then go here to download the installation:
Edge WebView installation from the official Microsoft website to download the installation file “MicrosoftEdgeWebview2Setup.exe”
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=2124703