Français

Ontario Staycation Tax Credit

Ellie'sAsking

Hello Ellie'sAsking,

Ontario residents can claim 20% of their eligible 2022 accommodation expenses, for example, for a stay at a hotel, cottage or campground, when filing their personal Income Tax and Benefit Return for 2022. You can claim eligible expenses of up to $1,000 as an individual or $2,000 if you have a spouse, common-law partner or eligible children, to get back up to $200 as an individual or $400

·         You are eligible to claim the credit if you are an Ontario resident on December 31, 2022.

·         Only one individual per family can claim the credit for the year. Your claim can include the eligible expenses of your spouse or common-law partner and your eligible children.

·         An eligible child is not entitled to claim the credit.

·         If you do not have a spouse or common-law partner, or eligible child, you can claim your own eligible expenses for the credit.

For more information on this topic please click on this link:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-staycation-tax-credit

To claim this credit, please follow the steps below:

1.In the left side column of the “Interview” section, click on the page “Interview setup”.

2.On the “Interview setup” page, scroll down to the section on “Other topics” .

3.In the “Other topics” section, place a check mark next to “Other deductions and credits (including school supply and home buyers’ amount)”

4.Then, click on the little blue circle with the white arrow (which jumps directly to the “Other deductions and credits” page).

5.Or you can click “Next” at the bottom of the page and then return to the left side column to click on the “Other deductions and credits” page.

6.On the “Other deductions and credits” page select ON479 line 63052 -Ontario staycation tax credit by clicking on the little plus sign beside the title.

7.Complete the page according to your information.

8. Note: the HST number of the facility can be located on your invoice. The HST number must be in the format accepted by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) example: 123456789RT0001.

To see the calculation detail please refer to Schedule ON Provincial worksheet  Worksheet ON428 and ON479”.  This also appears on “ON 479 – Ontario Credits p1”  line 63052.

The refundable credit will appear on your Federal tax return line 47900.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello AnneSL,

To claim this credit, please follow the steps below:

1.In the left side column of the “Interview” section, click on the page “Interview setup”.

2.On the “Interview setup” page, scroll down to the section on “Other topics” .

3.In the “Other topics” section, place a check mark next to “Other deductions and credits (including school supply and home buyers’ amount)”

4.Then, click on the little blue circle with the white arrow ( which jumps directly to the “Other deductions and credits” page).

5.Or you can click “Next” at the bottom of the page and then return to the left side column to click on the “Other deductions and credits” page.

6.On the “Other deductions and credits” page select ON479 line 63052 -Ontario staycation tax credit by clicking on the little plus sign beside the title.

7.Complete the page according to your information.

8. Note: the HST number of the facility can be located on your invoice. The HST number must be in the format accepted by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) example: 123456789RT0001.

To see the calculation detail please refer to Schedule ON Provincial worksheet  “Worksheet ON428 and ON479”.  This also appears on “ON 479 – Ontario Credits p1”  line 63052.

The refundable credit will appear on your Federal tax return line 47900.

You can claim eligible expenses of up to $1,000 as an individual or $2,000 if you have a spouse, common-law partner or eligible children, to get back up to $200 as an individual or $400

https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-staycation-tax-credit

Trying to use HST number given and keep getting the format given is not correct.

Contacted the Resort and they confirmed the number I am using as their HST number but keep getting the error message.  Then I can't enter the address for the resort in the software field as it runs out of characters quickly.

Help??

Hello Nuhouse,

The GST / HST number is a required field for the Ontario Staycation credit was a required field as per the CRA.   It must be a GST #.  This requirement can now be bypassed.

Name and address of facility: The field length is 40 chars – this is a CRA limitation. It is due to the file transfer field length having a maximum as well as the actual form Worksheet ON428 and ON479

• 5 weeks later...

Form ON479 doesn't seem to be in UFile so I did it on my desktop. Where do I enter the amounts I'm claiming on the Staycation tax credit page in UFile?

There's no obvious field. Certainly not "Reimbursement, allowance, or any other form of assistance received"?

NEVER MIND! The UFile help field should really give useful help and not repeat what's on the page.

2 hours ago, gramatica said:

Form ON479 doesn't seem to be in UFile so I did it on my desktop. Where do I enter the amounts I'm claiming on the Staycation tax credit page in UFile?

There's no obvious field. Certainly not "Reimbursement, allowance, or any other form of assistance received"?

NEVER MIND! The UFile help field should really give useful help and not repeat what's on the page.

2023-04-22.png

2 hours ago, gramatica said:

12 minutes ago, gramatica said:

Pretty sure that doesn't load the form, just the fields you copy into from the form.

UFile doesn't work like that.  You provide the required information in the various fields and it will be transferred to the form which will be visible in the Tax Return tab.