Jump to content

Writing off fuel expenses as an employee? What do I do

Recommended Posts

Put it simply, I have no idea what I’m doing and Im 22, and this is the first time Im dealing with this… 


My parents have always done their income taxes through u-file. When is started working at 16, they just used me as one of their six? Available returns through the purchase of u-file. However, at the beginning of 2022, I started to track my mileage and vehicle expenses to hopefully be able to write them off on my taxes for 2022. 


I work for a company- I am NOT a subcontractor- I get a T4 every February. I work in new home construction. I do not drive a company vehicle, I have my own truck (had an older car before, bought the truck in September) that I drive and pay for in whole by myself. I pay for the insurance, fuel, financing, maintenance and everything. I have tracked everything, to a tee. I travel from site to site, but generally stay in Niagara region. With my old vehicle, I didn’t get any reimbursement, but with my truck, I got a piece-work raise (piece work is similar to how mechanics get paid- per unit hour on each job, not being at the shop for 9-5) but it wasn’t noted as such on my T4 or my pay stubs this year, my boss just upped it by a few cents for simplicity on his part and my part.  My logs look something like this: 


Chart w/ columns labelled:

Date/Starting Location/Destination/Distance/Purpose


Example: 123 our shop street, Niagara Falls/New home site in Thorlold/14KM’s/repair xyz or do my job 


My starting point is always at my shop, I Never track it from my house, but I always have to drive far out to the site, not just to my shop. 


My repair logs are as follows:


Date/concern or issue/parts and service performed/price/tax/total


My fuel log is as follows: 


Date/litres dispensed/price per litre w tax/HST Spent/ total spent


I have everything logged and typed out, all of the number work was done in excel adding every separate component up (HST, PST, GST, base price, mileage, etc). I mean everything. I have fuel receipts for every single fill up. 


Can someone please help me, and guide me on exactly what to do here? Has anyone else dealt with this. From my understanding, I have to get my boss to fill out a T2200 https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/forms/t2200.html 


But what do I put in what lines on my return? Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello clappedk24accord,

Yes you need a T2200 from Employer.  For the other expenses you refer to.


If you are a salaried employee, you can deduct certain of your expenses that relate to your work. However, make sure you have received from your employer the federal form T2200 and if you are Quebec resident, the form TP- 64.3, both completed.

To claim those employment expenses, please follow these steps:

1. On the "Left side menu of the Interview tab", select "Interview setup".

2. On the screen to your right, go to the "Employment and other benefits" group, check the box for "Employment expenses (including T777)" and click on "Next" at the bottom of the page.

3. Return to the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab" and select the "T4 and employment income". For residents of all provinces except Quebec, select "T4 Income (earned in any province except Quebec)", while for Quebec residents, and choose "T4 and RL-1 (Relevé 1) income earned in Quebec with QPP contributions".

4. On the page that is generated enter the information of your T4 slip and for Quebec RL-1.

5. Return to the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select "Employment Expenses".

6. On the page generated on the right, entitled "Employment expenses", on this page choose "T777"eligible employment expenses of an employee earning a salary", click on the plus sign "+".

7. On the page entitled "Employment expenses" Employee earning a salary" enter all the required information and click "Next" at the bottom of the page.

8. To record your eligible motor vehicle expenses, click on the "Motor vehicle expense" section and enter the relevant information.

9. If you received an "Allowance for your motor vehicle expenses", enter the amount on the line "Motor vehicle expenses (except CCA & interest) ".

10. You have your office at home, choose the subsection "Home office expenses".

11. On the line "Percentage (%) of home being used for personal purposes " indicate the percentage. Subsequently, you must answer the questions that concern you.

12. If you are a tenant, on the "Office rent" line, enter the annual cost of the rent you paid.

13. If you purchased equipment for your work, enter the cost on the "Other home office expenses - specify" line.

14. If you received an Allowance from your employer, enter the amount in one of the three (3) lines in the "Allowance" subsection.

15. You must complete the subsection "Employment conditions" and answer the questions. For Quebec residents, also click on "Employment conditions - Quebec" and enter the requested information.

Your employment expenses will be entered by the program in federal form T777 and on line 22900 of the federal return. If you are a Quebec resident, the TP-59 form will be generated and the amount will be reported on line 207 of the Quebec return, with the appropriate code displayed on line 206.

NOTE: You must keep a record of all the expenses you incurred. This register must be kept for a period of six (6) years after the end of the tax year, as the CRA (and/or for Quebec residents, the MRQ) may request some of your documents.

For more information, please visit the following links:

For the CRA:


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...