Français

Child Care Expenses - "Ufile cannot claim a deduction for the child care expenses entered"

I am the lower income partner and have entered child care expenses. However, I get a warning message from UFile saying "Ufile cannot claim a deduction for the child care expenses you entered". When I click on "Click here to review your data", it takes me to the page for "Type of Information you wish to provide about your spouse". I typically only provide net income for my spouse because he and I use different tax software. 

How can I include child care expenses without having my spouse do his return in UFile? I claimed child care expenses last year and didn't have this issue, so I'm not sure what is happening. 

Incidentally, I have been on EI this year because I am on maternity leave. I was also a full-time student. I'm not sure if either of those things make a difference?

Hello CeeCee7722,

Is Child Care effected by : However, if you want to prepare your two returns separately, select "Net income only" A new page entitled "Spouse - Basic information" is added to the "Left side menu to the Interview tab" where you can enter basic information only. ***Some transfers will not be possible, because the program will not have all the required information.** 

The program cannot calculate childcare if all information regarding both spouses is not present. Suggestion: enter all information for spouse but DO NOT transmit the return. 

• 1 month later...

I am having the same problem here too. I cannot enter child care expenses (i.e., daycare) and have filled in all information for my spouse - net income only.

What is missing or wrong? Because of this, I did not claim daycare expenses last year too.

Please advise

Hello AJM,

You have selected to only enter the basic information for your spouse, ie: net income only, rather then the complete information.  

In order for UFile to calculate the childcare expenses you must enter the complete information for your spouse. You are not required to NetFile your spouse’s return, only to enter the complete information so that the program can calculate the appropriate amounts. 

To enter the complete information for your spouse, go to the left side of the Interview section and click on

“Spouse-Interview type” and select “Complete information (recommended)”.

Why is this an issue this year, what's changed?  Last year I was bale to claim deductions for the child care expenses without any issue and only inputting the net income for my spouse.  Having to enter all of her information seems overly onerous, she's already done all that on a different platform.  Are you saying there is no other go around?

Stephen