Français

Ontario Senios Care at Home Tax Credit

I have read conflicting information about seniors living in a long term care home being eligible for the Ontario Seniors Care at Home Tax Credit.

UFile software does calculate this credit after claiming rent paid and declaring that residence is a private long-term care home in the ON_BEN declaration (interview)

Can anyone confirm seniors living in a long term care home are eligible for this credit (as long as the eligibility requirements are met?)

Hello Jim G,

If you lived in a private long-term care home, hospital, group home, chronic care facility, or a similar institution and the institution paid full municipal and school taxes, enter your rent beside box 61100. If the facility does not break down the cost of room and board (meals, laundering, or other services) on your receipt, you can claim an amount of up to 75% of your total payments as rent.

If you lived in a public or non-profit long-term care home, see question 13.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/child-family-benefits/provincial-territorial-programs/ontario-energy-property-tax-credit-questions-answers.html#q8

11 hours ago, Geo123 said:

Hello Jim G,

If you lived in a private long-term care home, hospital, group home, chronic care facility, or a similar institution and the institution paid full municipal and school taxes, enter your rent beside box 61100. If the facility does not break down the cost of room and board (meals, laundering, or other services) on your receipt, you can claim an amount of up to 75% of your total payments as rent.

If you lived in a public or non-profit long-term care home, see question 13.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/child-family-benefits/provincial-territorial-programs/ontario-energy-property-tax-credit-questions-answers.html#q8

Thankyou for your response/clarification on rent Geo123. I would like to clarify my original query: Can a resident of a private long-term care home who has substantial medical expenses claim the Ontario Seniors Care at Home Tax Credit? UFILE software allows it, (see example in attachment) but I thought the intent of the legislation was to keep seniors in their 'homes'? (the eligibility requirements listed in the Ontario.ca website do not include a definition of "at home" or where a senior can reside).

Eligibility

Who is eligible

You are eligible to claim the credit if you:

• turned 70 years of age or older in the year, or have a spouse or common‐law partner who turned 70 years of age or older in the year; and
  • are resident in Ontario at the end of the tax year.

Government   

EXAMPLE IN UFILE PRO - Ontario Seniors Care at Home Tax Credit.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, same issue. Ufile is allowing the Ontario Seniors Care At home Tax Credit for large medical expenses paid at a LTC home that does NOT pay full municipal taxes. Amounts paid to a nursing home for medical care are eligible medical expense and it's flowing through to the Ontario Credits form ON479. I agree with JimG that the Ontario government may not have intended that someone in a nursing home be eligible for this credit that is intended to help people stay in their home. 

Update: I called the CRA. The employee I spoke with checked reference guide and said she didn't see a problem with it. 

• 11 months later...