Jump to content

Tuition deductions to the parent who paid or the student who also worked

Recommended Posts

Hello all,


My daughter started university in 2022, she is 19 and she also worked during the summer of 2022, so she has a T4.

I am doing my taxes and not sure where to put the tuition fees, in her taxes or my taxes?

Do we need a special form from the university? or is it enough with the payment receipt?


Thanks in advance




Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your daughter will need to obtain the T2202 form, usually found in the university student account. You can invoke this form in the Interview section and fill out the appropriate data. Ufile will take it from there, and guide you along.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Mauricio,

To qualify, the fees you paid to attend each educational institution must be more than $100.


Tuition fees must be recorded in the file of the student.


1. On the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", select "Interview setup".

2. On the page "Interview setup", go to the "Student" group, check the box "Tuition, education, textbook, student loans" as well as any other groups needed to complete your tax return and click "Next" at the bottom of the page.

3. Return to the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab" and select the item "Tuition, education, student loans".

4. On the screen to your right click on the plus sign "+" icon to the right of the line "Tuition amounts* (line 32300)".

5. On the page that appears, in the section "Tuition, education, textbook amounts (T2202, TL11A, TL11C)", go to the line "Eligible tuition fees paid to Canadian educational institutions for 2019 (enter description in the first field and the amount in the $ field)". If you attended more than one establishment, click on the plus sign "+" on your right and a new field will be added.

6. Enter the number of months of full-time or part-time postsecondary education, if any, based on the information on your T2202 slip. In addition, this information will be included on Schedule 11.

The program will generate federal Schedule 11 to determine tuition fees.


For more information about tuition fees, including tuition transfer and deferral, please visit:

For the CRA:





Remember that according to CRA rules, you must claim the amounts first on your own federal return (the student), to reduce the tax payable.


Please note that you can carry forward the surplus to a future year or transfer it to a parent or grandparent.


To do this, go to the line "Treatment of unused tuition, education and textbook amounts" and in the field to your right, choose the option that suits you.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...