Jump to content

US Investment Shares - 1042-S and Schedule K-1 - reporting income


Recommended Posts


I have to ReFILE for 2019 for foreign dividends were reported for that tax year but were originally reported in the incorrect area. 

This is for my husband - who does not work in the States, these are US based shares purchased through Canadian employer.

He received a Distribution payout of $5,590 USD in the last quarter of 2019.



For this tax year, he did not have over $100k CAD in foreign property so T1135 not required.

I have added in Foreign Income and Property from Interview Set-Up.

I want to confirm how to enter everything correctly from the forms received.


Here is what I have:


A 1042-S that states:

$2131 for Gross Income

$338 for Federal Tax Withheld

$18 Overheld Tax Repaid to Recipient Pursuant to Adjustment Procedures; and

$320 Total Withholding Credit


A Schedule K-1 (Form 1065) that states:

$50,000 Contributed Capital through the year

$2128 for Current Net Year Income

$5590 for Withdrawals and Distributions; and

$46,538 for Ending Capital Amount


QUERY 1:  I checked/added “Income from Foreign Dividends” (I think that's the right selection) – I can complete the first 3 boxes – question re the 4th box "Amount of Foreign Income Received" - am I just to add $5590 for Withdrawals and Distributions?  And question re the 5th box "Amount of Foreign Tax Paid”– what specific amount from the above do I enter for that box?

QUERY 2:  What other form do I need to check/add (under the Foreign Income and Property heading) to account for the Income produced off the initial capital invested?  Is it “Foreign Interest Income”?  What do I enter from the above stated figures and where?


TIA for any assistance!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello NeonNanBell,

Before responding to your query we must first determine :

A) Is the taxpayer a US citizen or Green Card holder?

 B) Are you aware if the K-1 represents a business requiring your spouse to file either a 1040 or 1040NR?

Please contact us and open a request ticket and submit an anonymous file for review on-line at https://www.ufile.ca/contact/contact-us  ATTN : Geo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...