Français

Claim Long Term Disability Premiums

Dan S

I am on Long Term Disability (LTD) from my employer.  They sent me a letter indicating that I could make a one-time claim of all of the premiums I had paid into the LTD Plan at work, over the course of my employment (provided I had not claimed this before, which I haven't).    I am looking where to claim this - any help would be so greatly appreciated.  Many thanks

Try this out, it should work. Presumably the LTD payments are on a T4. On the Ufile T4 page, go down to near the bottom to Other Information. In the drop box, go to the bottom and select Wage loss replacement contributions. Put the amount of the premiums in the associated box.

Generate the tax return to see if the premiums are being taken off income.  

Thanks for your reply Curmudgeon. Unfortunately the LTD payments are not shown on my T4 Slip. I believe I have to contact my employer to get the amount I paid since joining the the DI program (total amount for 22 years).  I believe I might be able to enter the amount in Ufile in a section called Other Deductions (line 23200 on tax return).  

Thank you Curmudgeon.  That link is very helpful.   My Insurance has issued me a T4A (not a T4) for my Disability Benefits.  There is a field on the T4A where I can enter the amount of premiums paid for a wage loss replacement plan.  I did test it by entering  a number and it does deduct it from my Wage loss replacement income(box 107 on T4A)  and is reported on line 10400.   Now I just need to get the correct amount I paid over the last 22 years from my employer.