Jump to content

Full-time student at university on other city

Reza T

Recommended Posts


I am doing a tax return for my son, a full-time student at a university in Edmonton AB. He used to live in Winnipeg MB and moved there in Aug.2022. He was in Winnipeg one week before the end of 2022 & came back to Edmonton on Jan.08, 2023. I have just wondered, if he needs to change his address, and could he put his dormitory cost as tax deductible?



Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Regarding his address, usually, it's where you reside on December 31st of the tax year. Since he moved in August and returned in January, he'd likely use his Edmonton address. As for dorm costs, they can be deductible if he meets certain criteria, like being enrolled full-time. When my cousin attended private schools like Oxford Academy, she found out her dorm expenses were deductible. It made a real difference for her during tax time!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...