Français

Can online virtual course expense (1 Week) for CISSP claimed from personal taxes?

WhyMe

Here is a question I wanted to pose...

I wanted to make a career change. So I tried to explore Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP).

I took the following course from The Knowledge Academy for CAD 2,795.62 via a virtual classroom in July of 2022. Can I claim this expense from personal tax deductions?

Suppose this does not fall under T2202.

1. you have to be in full-time attendance at a university/college outside Canada. 
  2. each course that is claimed for tuition purposes must last at least three consecutive weeks and lead to a degree

Where does the CISSP course expense deduction fit?

Thanks

Arish

Hello WhyMe,

If the school does not provide a T2202, technically it can not claimed as Tuition, then you can try to use as an expense as a consultant on a T2125 (if you you are not a salaried employee).  Please verify with the CRA.

FYI - Tuition :

To claim your tuition fees you must have received one of the following forms from your educational institution:

Form T2202, Tuition and Enrolment Certificate

Form TL11A, Tuition and Enrolment Certificate – University Outside Canada

Form TL11C, Tuition and Enrolment Certificate – Commuter to the United States

Form TL11D, Tuition Fees Certificate – Educational Institutions Outside Canada for a Deemed Resident of Canada

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/deductions-credits-expenses/line-32300-your-tuition-education-textbook-amounts.html

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/25/2023 at 5:59 PM, WhyMe said:

Here is a question I wanted to pose...

I wanted to make a career change. So I tried to explore Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP).

I took the following course from The Knowledge Academy for CAD 2,795.62 via a virtual classroom in July of 2022. Can I claim this expense from personal tax deductions?

Suppose this does not fall under T2202.

1. you have to be in full-time attendance at a university/college outside Canada. 
  2. each course that is claimed for tuition purposes must last at least three consecutive weeks and lead to a degree

Where does the CISSP course expense deduction fit?

Discovering a website that specializes in crafting personalized statements was a game-changer for me. Their seamless ordering process and prompt communication made the experience enjoyable. The skilled write personal statement for me on their platform carefully tailored my personal statement to reflect my unique experiences and aspirations. I couldn't be happier with the result.

Thanks

Arish

Please tell me, did it work out? I'm just planning too, but haven't made up my mind yet.

Hello WhyMe,

To claim your tuition fees you must have received one of the following forms from your educational institution:
    Form T2202, Tuition and Enrolment Certificate
    Form TL11A, Tuition and Enrolment Certificate – University Outside Canada

Form TL11C, Tuition and Enrolment Certificate – Commuter to the United States
    Form TL11D, Tuition Fees Certificate – Educational Institutions Outside Canada for a Deemed Resident of Canada

Examination fees for licensing or certification
Examination fees paid to an educational institution, professional association, provincial ministry or other similar institution, to take an occupational, trade or professional examination that is required to obtain a professional status recognized by federal or provincial statute, or to be licensed or certified as a tradesperson, to allow you to practice the profession or trade in Canada, may be eligible for the tuition tax credit.

Ancillary fees or charges exceeding $250 and paid in respect of an occupational, trade, or professional examination are not eligible tuition fees unless they are required to be paid by all individuals taking the examination.

You should be provided with a receipt to substantiate your eligible exam fees.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/deductions-credits-expenses/line-32300-your-tuition-education-textbook-amounts/eligible-tuition-fees.html