Français

How and where do I claim the Federal $2500 Death Benefit I received for my Dad?

LinhNguyen

I have received the T4(P) slip for the Death Benefit that I received for my father's passing. It has his SIN on it but is addressed to me since I paid for the funeral expenses. I've gone through the software and don't see where I can claim that. Do I just select "T4(P)" and enter in $2500 for the Death Benefit - even though the slip is under my father's SIN and not mine? 

Thank you in advance.

Hello LinhNguyen,

f you received the death benefit amount and you are a beneficiary of the deceased person's estate, you can choose to include it either on line 11400 of your federal return, and for Quebec resident on line 154 of the Quebec return.

Also, you can report this benefit on a T3 Trust Income Tax and Information Return (TP-646 for Quebec) for the estate. The amount of tax payable may be different, depending on which return you use.

Do not report the death benefit on the deceased person's individual tax return.

For more information about the T3 Trust Income Tax and Information Return, consult the T4013 - T3 Trust Guide:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/t4013.html,

For Quebec, consult the TP-646.G-V - Guide to Filing the Trust Income Tax Return:

https://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/online-services/forms-and-publications/current-details/tp-646-v/

o include this amount on your own return, please follow these steps:

1. On the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", select the "Interview setup".

2. Then, on the page appearing on the right, go to the "Pension" group, check the box ''Pension income and split pension income (T4A, T4A(OAS), T4A(P), T4A-RCA, T4RSP, T4RIF, T1032)" and click on "Next" at the bottom of the page.

3. Return to the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab" and select the "Pension income, T4A, split pension".

4. On the right-hand side, choose the option "T4A(P) - Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits". For Quebec residents, the option is "T4A(P) - Statement of Quebec Pension Plan Benefits (RL-2)".

5. Enter in ''Box 18 - death benefit'' the amount of death benefit received, and then click "Next" at the bottom of the page.

The program will enter this amount on line 11400 of your federal return and on line 154 of your Quebec return.

• 6 months later...

When you're using the software, select "T4(P)" and enter $2500 for the Death Benefit. Don't worry about the slip being under your dad's SIN, it's all good. Just make sure you have all the necessary documents handy. Additionally, I understand that finding a crematory in Nevada may be important for you at this time. There are several reputable crematories in Nevada that you can consider. It's always a good idea to research and compare their services, pricing, and customer reviews to find the one that best suits your needs.