Français

How to enter medical expenses for a dependent that were paid only by the dependent and paid by both the dependent and supporting person.

LENNUU

Hello,

I have Ufile 4. My mother is dependant on me. During the entire 2022 she lived in long term care centre.  A private personnel support worker was hired to provide attendant care service to my mother. I am aware that both of these costs are medical expenses. In Ufile section, “Medical and disability”, “Medical expenses”, “Specific medical expenses (not claimed elsewhere)” there are “Cost of attendant care” and “Fees for a residential and long term care centre” selections.

My mother paid all of the fees for the long term care centre. She paid for 25% of the attendant care services and I paid the balance.

How do I enter this in UFile?

Thank you,

Dan

In my draft 2022 UFile tax return I have included my mother as a dependent. During 2022 my mother paid the entire $22,000 fee for the long term care centre. She paid $5,000 of the cost of attendant care and I paid the balance of $15,000.

In my mother’s tax return I entered in the section, “Medical and disability”, “Medical expenses”, “Specific medical expenses (not claimed elsewhere)” $22,000 for “Fees for a residential and long term care centre” and $5,000 for the “Cost of attendant care”.

Where do I enter the $15,000 I paid for the “Cost of attendant care”.

If I enter the entire $20,000 “Cost of attendant care” in my mother’s tax return how do I claim $15,000 and my mother claim $5,000.

Thank you,

Dan

Hello LENNUU,

Yes, you can enter in each file but please note that the benefit also relates to the income. 

Line 33199 – You can claim the part of eligible medical expenses you or your spouse or common-law partner paid for any of the following persons who depended on you for support:

your or your spouse’s or common-law partner’s children who were 18 years of age or older at the end of the tax year, or grandchildren
    your or your spouse’s or common-law partner’s parents, grandparents, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, nephews, or nieces who were residents of Canada at any time in the year
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/rc4065/medical-expenses.html#toc2

• 11 months later...

Hi Geo123,

If we enter the amount paid in the Dependant's Medical Expense Section, when the dependant files his/her own tax return, should he/she enter the amount as well or leave it blank? Thank you so much!

Sabrina

Hello Luxixi,

If you are claiming the medical amount of the Dependant (and not filing the Dependant return in your account) then do not enter again in the separate Dependant file that is being filed.