Français

Live in Quebec work in Ontario Filing

khadati

I am a federal employee living in Quebec but working in Ontario.  I have a T4 with CPP contributions and paid RPP, and EI premiums.  I also received an RL1 with box A and J amounts and box G and I with 0.00.  Could you help explain how I should be filing the T4 and RL-1 income earned in Quebec with QPP contributions + the T4 income earned outside Quebec?  Please also clarify entry on Box 28 in the program (which I do not have a check on any of the boxes on the T4 issued).  T4_Ufile_question.thumb.jpg.d2bf4ef857a5ee690a205be013af7e04.jpg

Rl1_Ufile_question.jpg

Hello khadati,

CPP (not QPP) contribution for Quebec residents working in Ontario
 For people living in Quebec and working in Ontario, but who contribute to the CPP, Canada Pension Plan. The T4 slip you received from your employer shows CPP contributions in Box 16. Also, you received a RL-1 Box A.
Please follow the steps below:
1. On the left-side menu of the " Interview " tab, select "Interview setup".
2. On the screen to your right, go to the "Employment and other benefits" group, check the box for "T4 income earned outside Quebec” and click on "Next" at the bottom of the page.
3. Return to the left-side menu on the " Interview " tab, select "T4 and employment income" and on the screen that appears on the right, click on the plus « + » icon to the right of the line "T4 income" and enter the amounts corresponding to the boxes found on your T4.
4.  Return to the left-side menu on the " Interview " tab, select " T4 - Statement of Remuneration Paid (RL-1) with QPP contributions" and on the screen that appears on the right, click on the plus « + » icon to the right of the line "T4 income" and enter the amounts corresponding to the boxes found on your T4.

5. On the new page that appears, you must enter the information displayed on your RL-1 slip as follows:
a) "Box 14 - employment income": leave blank.
b) "RL-1 box A - employment income": enter the amount in box A of the RL-1 slip.
c) Exempt (CPP/QPP, EI, PPIP) (Warning: If exempt, see help.) 
Exempt CPP/QPP (rare!)
Exempt (CPP/QPP, EI, PPIP) (Warning: If exempt, see help.)
Exempt EI (rare!)
Exempt (CPP/QPP, EI, PPIP) (Warning: If exempt, see help.)28
Exempt PPIP (rare)
d) "RL-1 box J - private health insurance plan": enter the amount in box J of the RL-1 slip.
e) ''Box 40 - other taxable allowances and benefits (RL-1 Box L)'' (T4 slip box 40): enter the amount in box L. If there is no amount, leave blank.

f) For the section "Other information (click on the triangle to see the list of choices)", choose "RL-1 (211) - Benefit related to previous employment (line Q102)" and enter the amount in box A (box 211) of the RL-1.

*Note that this does not pertain to a T4 slip but to a Quebec RL-1 (Relevé 1) slip.

On 6/20/2023 at 4:37 PM, Geo123 said:

Hello khadati,

CPP (not QPP) contribution for Quebec residents working in Ontario
 For people living in Quebec and working in Ontario, but who contribute to the CPP, Canada Pension Plan. The T4 slip you received from your employer shows CPP contributions in Box 16. Also, you received a RL-1 Box A.
Please follow the steps below:
1. On the left-side menu of the " Interview " tab, select "Interview setup".
2. On the screen to your right, go to the "Employment and other benefits" group, check the box for "T4 income earned outside Quebec” and click on "Next" at the bottom of the page.
3. Return to the left-side menu on the " Interview " tab, select "T4 and employment income" and on the screen that appears on the right, click on the plus « + » icon to the right of the line "T4 income" and enter the amounts corresponding to the boxes found on your T4.
4.  Return to the left-side menu on the " Interview " tab, select " T4 - Statement of Remuneration Paid (RL-1) with QPP contributions" and on the screen that appears on the right, click on the plus « + » icon to the right of the line "T4 income" and enter the amounts corresponding to the boxes found on your T4.

5. On the new page that appears, you must enter the information displayed on your RL-1 slip as follows:
a) "Box 14 - employment income": leave blank.
b) "RL-1 box A - employment income": enter the amount in box A of the RL-1 slip.
c) Exempt (CPP/QPP, EI, PPIP) (Warning: If exempt, see help.) 
Exempt CPP/QPP (rare!)
Exempt (CPP/QPP, EI, PPIP) (Warning: If exempt, see help.)
Exempt EI (rare!)
Exempt (CPP/QPP, EI, PPIP) (Warning: If exempt, see help.)28
Exempt PPIP (rare)
d) "RL-1 box J - private health insurance plan": enter the amount in box J of the RL-1 slip.
e) ''Box 40 - other taxable allowances and benefits (RL-1 Box L)'' (T4 slip box 40): enter the amount in box L. If there is no amount, leave blank.

f) For the section "Other information (click on the triangle to see the list of choices)", choose "RL-1 (211) - Benefit related to previous employment (line Q102)" and enter the amount in box A (box 211) of the RL-1.

*Note that this does not pertain to a T4 slip but to a Quebec RL-1 (Relevé 1) slip.

On the T4 - Statement of Remuneration Paid (RL-1) with QPP contributions for box 28- could you confirm what option I should be selecting on the dropdown?

Hello khadati,

For Box 28

Exempt (CPP/QPP, EI, PPIP) (Warning: If exempt, see help.) [28]  Exempt CPP/QPP (rare!)
Exempt (CPP/QPP, EI, PPIP) (Warning: If exempt, see help.) [28] Exempt EI (rare!)
Exempt (CPP/QPP, EI, PPIP) (Warning: If exempt, see help.) [28] Exempt PPIP (rare!)

20 hours ago, Geo123 said:

Hello khadati,

For Box 28

Exempt (CPP/QPP, EI, PPIP) (Warning: If exempt, see help.) [28]  Exempt CPP/QPP (rare!)
Exempt (CPP/QPP, EI, PPIP) (Warning: If exempt, see help.) [28] Exempt EI (rare!)
Exempt (CPP/QPP, EI, PPIP) (Warning: If exempt, see help.) [28] Exempt PPIP (rare!)

Thank you, for correcting this. my problem is also solved.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I also have this same situation. I live in Quebec but work for a company in Ontario. Since the company has no office in Quebec, I do not even get a RL1 from them.

I just downloaded my tax data from CRA and on the T4 it had selected "Exempt PPIP (rare)" automatically, even though there is no exemption indicated on the actual T4 I received.

I want to know if this is correct, or if this is some kind of bug in the system?

Chris

Hello,

This is not an amount, but a check off option. There is a box on the T4 for exemptions for CPP, EI, PPIP (box 28). On the copy of the T4 I received from my employer this box is entirely blank, but when downloading the T4 from the CRA, the program shows the option for "Exempt PPIP (rare)" enabled.

So my question is, is this a result of some kind of calculation based on the fact that I live in Quebec but am employed in Ontario, or is it some kind of bug in the program.

Chris