Jump to content

Tax resident vs. non-resident


Recommended Posts


Was wondering if Canadians can choose to continue filing their annual income taxes (as a regular tax resident) even if they only spend about one month in Canada each year? Reason being not to trigger the deemed disposition (ie. departure tax) ? 


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello PeteH,

Please check with the CRA.  You may be considered a non-resident of Canada if you did not have significant residential ties with Canada and: You lived outside Canada throughout the year (except if you were a deemed resident of Canada) You stayed in Canada for less than 183 days in the tax year.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...