Français

How to do tax for self-employed and make CPP, EI contribution?

mcheung

If I did remote work as programming and the employer is from US and they paid me directly to my bank without doing those CPP, EI contribution for me? So basically I don't have a T4 slip. So I'm thinking in the interview setup, I don't select "Employment income and employment insurance benefits"? I will select "self-employment" and then next I will select "T2125P - Professional income". Not sure if that's the right way? But it seems it asks me like I need a registered business account? It doesn't even ask me what's the amount of income I made and no selection for me to contribute CPP or EI? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

ufile.png

Hello mcheung,

For IRS 1099-NEC / 1099-MISC / Independent Contractor < = = = IF you did not receive a 1099 enter "Contractor
Example
>>Go to Right Hand Screen - Interview SetUp
  >> Investment income and expenses 
  >> Foreign income and foreign property (T1135) "-->"(blue arrow)

>>Go to Left Hand side of screen
  >>Foreign income and property
  >>Section [Foreign non-business income]
  >>Foreign employment income  “+”  < - - CLICK on “+”

*Description of the source of the foreign income [IRS 1099-NEC]  or [IRS 1099-MISC]  or [Contractor] < = = = IF you did not receive a 1099 enter "Contractor
If you are entering amounts in Canadian dollars, enter 1 for the exchange rate. The average exchange rate for $US was 1.3013 in 2022. See the Bank of Canada's website (www.bankofcanada.ca) for other exchange rates.

Exchange rate to apply    [1.3013]
Foreign employment income not entered on a T4 page [$25,000.00]  < = = USD
Employment expenses related to the foreign employment income
Sales expenses
Travelling expenses
Other foreign employment expenses – specify Description
Amount of foreign tax paid $2,500.00  < = = USD
https://www.irs.gov/faqs/small-business-self-employed-other-business/form-1099-nec-independent-contractors