Jump to content


Recommended Posts

Hi everybody!

2023 was my last year at the university and I had 4 full months of studies. I also worked 6 months after I finished my studies.

My carryover amount from previous years (federal tuition amount) is 20K+. After calculating my income and all the expenses, the program tells me that I have an amount due. How can I use my carryover tuition amount to zero my taxes? Is this possible?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Martin M.,

Transfer or carry forward amount
You have to first claim your current year’s federal tuition fees and any unused tuition, education, and textbook amounts carried forward from previous years on your Income Tax and Benefit Return, even if someone else paid your fees. 
The amount you must use on your own tax return is equal to the amount of credit required to reduce the taxes you owe. The calculation for this amount is included on Schedule 11.

You note that you still have tax due, this may be due to other factors.  Please contact UFile Support so we may review the file confidentially.  Please include the above note.
Please open a request ticket and submit an anonymous file for review on-line at https://www.ufile.ca/contact/contact-us

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Geo!

Thank you for your prompt reply!

In fact I did what you mention in your answer - I added my last year (2023) tuition amount as well. There is not much to be done on the page with the tuition amounts (T2202). "To claim" is nothing else but "to add" the new amount. Basically I can't control or change those amounts for my own tax return. I can only control an amount transferred to others.

I tried some scenarios comparing different Tax Returns under #4 in the program (the pdf-file). Playing with numbers I came to the point that the Tuition, education and textbook amount @ line 32300 under Federal non-refundable tax credits appears only if the Total income @ line 15000 is bigger than 16,553.00. If the latter is less, the tuition amount (no matter new or carried-over) cannot be used. The program does not allow it. I have no idea what exactly is this amount.

No matter what the scenario, I always have Balance owing on line 48500.

I'll probably contact ufile as per your advice. This is my first return for a year I both studied and worked, and I want to have it done properly.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...