Français

FHSA - Error

I keep getting this error. I filed a support ticket and went back and forth, even submitted my return for UFile to look at and no one could help me.

A new first home savings account (FHSA) was introduced in the 2022 Federal Budget for which the legislative measures received Royal Assent as of December 15, 2022. As of April 1, 2023, prospective first-time home buyers can open an FHSA to save up to $8,000 per year towards the purchase of a qualifying home. Please indicate if you opened one or more FHSA in {YYYY}.

You are NOT eligible to file the federal return using NetFile. If you are not able to correct the problem(s) shown above you will need to file a printed return.

Hello Diaperboy,
This message is mandated by the CRA as the there is a new program in place this year (FHSA - First Home Savings Account) and the CRA wants people to know that if they opened a FHSA, they must enter it into their tax return. 

If you opened a FHSA, then enter it into your tax return. If you did not open a FHSA, then simply ignore it.

You cannot NetFIle a 2023 tax return as the government filing opens February 19, 2024.

I understand that I can not file until Feb 19, however if I'm not able to correct this error, UFile is telling me I will not be able to file my return online and will have to submit a paper copy. This is obviously an error on UFile's end as the warning is asking me to "indicate if you opened one or more FHSA in {YYYY}", but there is nowhere in the interview setup to indicate this one way or another.

Hello Diaperboy,

This is a mandatory warning / reminder as required by the CRA.  You can ignore it and proceed with the tax return if you do no have a FHSA.  IF you did open a FHSA there is a section to complete the necessary information.

• 2 weeks later...

However, you CANNOT just ignore and proceed, as UFILE will not let you.  It stops you being able to file electronically if you do not "indicate if you opened one or more FHSA" - there is nowhere to answer NO to this question.  So, if you didn't open an FHSA, you're stalled, and cannot file electronically.  Surely, this is a bug from Ufile ?

Hello Shin,

The warning will not prevent NetFiling.  You do not need to answer "no".   Of note, Auto-Fill Return (AFR) and Netfiling are currently closed by the CRA. 

The CRA's Auto-fill my return service for the delivery of 2023 tax year data will be available for use as of February 19, 2024.
The NETFILE and ReFILE services are now closed for the electronic filing of your initial and amended T1 personal income tax and benefit return. NETFILE and ReFILE services will re-open on Monday, February 19, 2024, at 6:00 a.m. (Eastern Time).
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/e-services/digital-services-individuals/netfile-overview/eligibility.html

• 2 weeks later...

Hello TimSTEC,

(1.) FHSA

This message was mandated by the CRA as the there is a new program in place this year (FHSA - First Home Savings Account) and the CRA wants people to know that if they opened a FHSA, they must enter it into their tax return. 
If you opened a FHSA, then enter it into your tax return. If you did not open a FHSA, then simply ignore it.

(2.) UFIle Windows Update

Be sure to update your UFile if using UFile for Windows

image.png

>>

image.png

I too am getting the FHSA warning message. I have entered my FHSA contribution in the right place but it is still asking me to indicate if I opened one or more FHSAs in 2023 and there is nowhere to enter this other than where I’ve entered the statement. Why is it still telling me I need to enter information?

Edit: I discovered that there are TWO places to input your FHSA info. The first is under T4A INCOME to record your FHSA statement. The second is under RRSP, FHSA DEDUCTIONS to record how much of your contribution you want to use as a deduction for the tax year. Problem solved.

Edited by Nomi
To report solution