Français

date on signature line

Thanks for clearing that up!

So to confirm, the date that it's saved to pdf or efiled is fixed, cannot be modified and isn't changed by the reprinting date if I understand correctly.

Also is there any confirmation in the pdf that it was successfully efiled?

Hello diggitydog,

Correct the PDF date is fixed and can not be modified.  The EFile date is reported on the Nefile tab (Tab 5).

Once you NETFILE your return (Tab 5), the CRA will issue a confirmation number after it does a preliminary check and accepts  your return. The confirmation number is then displayed on your screen.  IF accessing at a later date It should be displayed (if NetFile was successful) :
>> Federal   [ ] File Accepted   <- - - Double Click
“Accepted
The tax return was successfully transmitted to the CRA on:
 Month / Day/Year/Time
The confirmation number is:
Xxxxxxxxxxxx
**Note you must NetFile each family member and require a separate confirmation for each family member.
**Please note that the UFile payment confirmation is different from the CRA NetFile confirmation.  UFIle can not NetFile the return, you (the client)  must NetFile from the above Tab 5.

• 4 months later...

Wait... so if I reprint my tax return after efiling, and make no changes to it, the signature date line changes to the current date and it puts "duplicate - do not send by mail" as a watermark?  What is it a duplicate of then? Not the original tax return from the original date if the signature line date changes to the current date.

Hello Mork,

Yes, the date on the page is when you printed it. The watermark is a CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) requirement. This is to ensure that once a file is EFILED, it is not sent again by paper. It is a duplicate of the electronic copy that was transmitted.

But it's not a duplicate if it changes the date on the page. That makes recordkeeping impossible. How do I know when a return was submitted rather than printed unless I have the receipt for the efile transaction?

Hello Mork,

The submission date is not the same as the print date. If you wish to know the date a file was submitted, then you may print the one page Acknowledgement report found  in the EFILE/NetFile tab on the left side of the screen.

Hello diggitydog,

Theses rules are mandated by the CRA. A professional tax preparer is required to to have the documents signed PRIOR to transmitting a tax file to the CRA. 

This ensures that the forms are signed before a transmission is done. 

Please feel free to contact the CRA at 1-800-959-8281 and discuss with them.

Am I just confused? We're discussing the printing of a "duplicate" tax document after the efiling. It's showing the wrong signature line date because it shows whatever date is printed if I understand correctly, but says "duplicate." The signature line date in a duplicate should be the date that the user efiled and thus electronically signed.