Français

How do I enter a property transfer to my spouse in Ufile?

In 2023 I transferred the title of a property that I owned to my spouse.  There were no 'proceeds' of the transaction - but I have read that the appropriate value to use is the adjusted cost basis.   Is this information simply entered in the "Real estate, depreciable property, and other properties" form under Capital Gains?  

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hello thedunkster32,

You generally do not have a capital gain or loss if you give capital property to your spouse or common-law partner, a spousal or common-law partner trust, a joint spousal or common-law partner trust, or an alter ego trust.*

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/personal-income/line-12700-capital-gains/transfers-capital-property/transfers-property-a-spouse-common-law-partner-a-trust-a-spouse-common-law-partner.html

*However situations and / or circumstances may subject you to attribution rules.  It is best to check with the CRA or a tax advisor.