Français

Not able to connect to CRA server for autofill

Pogo007

Hello CryptoTickler,

The CRA's Auto-fill my return service for the delivery of 2023 tax year data will be available for use as of February 19, 2024.
The NETFILE and ReFILE services are now closed for the electronic filing of your initial and amended T1 personal income tax and benefit return. NETFILE and ReFILE services will re-open on Monday, February 19, 2024, at 6:00 a.m. (Eastern Time).
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/e-services/digital-services-individuals/netfile-overview/eligibility.html

• 2 weeks later...

It's Feb 19 and AutoFill still isn't working. I can log in to the CRA site, but get an error trying to do AutoFill through Ufile, so presumably this is an issue on the Ufile end. Is there an updated estimate for when this feature will work?

I'm using UFile Online, which is why I posted in the UFile Online section. I have tried twice again today and cannot connect to autofill. CRA comes back with "Forbidden" when I log in, so I am guessing UFile is requesting something in the incorrect format or location. I can log in to the CRA site outside of UFile with no problem, so my account with them is not the issue. Please advise. 

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

Anyone has issues connecting with CRA auto-fill? The message shows "Error connecting with CRA server", but I tried to update my 2022 tax return using CRA auto-fill, no error message appears. 

Hello Wuxx,

We have no control over the CRA log in and download and AFR
IF CRA Server hangs or no data then you should contact CRA.
Please note you can also enter the data manually from the tax slips.  You can access the slips from CRA Myaccount :
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/e-services/digital-services-individuals/account-individuals.html
>>Tax Returns
>>Tax Information slips (T4 and more)
>>Select Tax Year
>>Select Tax Slip from drop down
To contact CRA :
1-800-959-8281 for inquiries related to individuals.
Telephone numbers – Canada Revenue Agency / CRA wait times:
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/corporate/contact-information/telephone-numbers.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2024 at 12:21 PM, Wuxx said:

Hi, 

Anyone has issues connecting with CRA auto-fill? The message shows "Error connecting with CRA server", but I tried to update my 2022 tax return using CRA auto-fill, no error message appears. 

Did you resolve? I am getting error today, 2022.also won't download as a test.

UPDATE: I googled the error, and someone mentioned "date and time" must be correct on computer for "connecting to servers" Of course my laptop never switched to daylight savings time. Easy fix if you notice it.

UPDATE ! Problem solved !  -- was using v1.81 there was an update that solved the problem 😁

It's April 18th tried to auto load tax forms but an error message
"Error connecting to CRA server. Please try again later"

(see image) - disabled firewall, computer date is correct, any suggestions?
I have a LOT of forms that need entering, it's going to be really frustrating if I have to enter them ALL manually.
It'd be easier to switch back to TurboTax and reenter just the basic data again instead of carry forward -- hopefully I can get this to work properly.

error CRA download.png

11 minutes ago, 1984tv said:

It's April 18th tried to auto load tax forms but an error message
"Error connecting to CRA server. Please try again later"

(see image) - disabled firewall, computer date is correct, any suggestions?

error CRA download.png

I had emailed ufile (already found out it was time for me) and they sent this long email...

Hello,
Thank you for contacting UFile Support.

1.Verify your CRA login credentials or resetting your CRA password
2. Ensure that your browser is up to date and that any security setting or plugins are not interfering with autofill features
3. clear your browser cache
4. try using different browser
Contact CRA for assistance.
Once the auto-fill function available, to link CRA auto-fill my return to your UFile return, please follow below steps:

Autofill:
Please ensure that the following conditions are met prior to using this service:
• You must be registered for My Account to download your own tax data. If you are preparing a tax return for someone else, you will need to become authorized to use Auto-fill my return on their behalf. See the section, "Preparing a tax return for a family member or friend", on the CRA's About Auto-fill my return webpage.
• The time must be set correctly on your computer. The CRA has a time limit for completing the transaction. A discrepancy of more than five minutes between the time on your computer and the correct time is enough for the CRA to invalidate the transaction.
• The time zone must also be set correctly on your computer.
Using the Auto-fill my return service for the first time
To use the CRA's Auto-fill my return service for the first time, please follow these steps:
1. On the Interview page, in the navigation window list located on the left-hand side, select the page CRA Auto-fill my return.
2. In the section, "Use Auto-fill my return in this file?", check the box "Yes, Use Auto-fill my return in this file".
3. Click the Next button at the bottom to go to the page Download my information.
4. Read the text in the section "AFR Terms and conditions of use".
5. In the section, "Retrieve tax information", check the box "I have read the terms and conditions above and agree to retrieve my tax information".
6. Click the Download button (you may need to scroll down the page to see it). Your web browser will open the CRA's login page.
If you see the message, "Error connecting with CRA server. Please try again later", click the OK button, and go back to step 5.
7. Enter your user ID and password, and follow the on-screen instructions. Once the download process starts, you will be logged out of the CRA's site, and any web pages opened during the process will be automatically closed.
8. You should now be on the page Accept my information. If not, select it from the navigation window list located on the left-hand side.
9. Using the check boxes, uncheck any items that you do NOT want to include in your tax return. Leave checked all items that you DO want to include in your tax return. By default, all items are checked and will be included.
10. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the Accept button. The data will be added to the appropriate sections on the Interview page, and you will see a confirmation message.

Updating your CRA data again
Not all data may be available at the CRA at the same time. You may want to check back a few times to see if any additional data is available.
1. On the Interview page, in the navigation window list located on the left-hand side, select the page Download my information.
2. In the section, "Retrieve tax information", check the box "Update from CRA again".
3. Follow steps 6 to 10 listed above in the section "Using the Auto-fill my return service for the first time".
Note: You will see all available CRA data displayed, including any data that you previously downloaded.
Be careful.
Merging the same tax data element multiple times could result in duplicated data in your Interview.
This situation will happen if you changed the name of the issuer or of the employer after a previous Accept.

Regards,