Français

Vehicle Expenses for BOTH Employee AND Self-Employed

In 2023 I was both a T4 employee and self-employed. I was required by my employer to use my personal vehicle for work, for which I received a (too small) taxable allowance. I also did some food delivery on the side to earn extra money. I used the same vehicle for both purposes. Every trip I took is properly tracked and recorded for its purpose (personal, T4, delivery).

I have done one or the other of these two things in the past, but never both at the same time before. What are the ramifications for expense claiming and CCA under this scenario? I am assuming I might have to break down by percentage the usage between the employee and self-employed portions, and claim separately? But with just one CCA submission?

Thanks for any feedback.

James BF,

Please check with the CRA or a tax accountant if you can use the same car for both employee and self-employed.  IF this is permitted :

What are the ramifications for expense claiming and CCA under this scenario?

>>Enter the car (CCA) to UFile for both employee >> Employment expenses >> eg.T777 - Eligible employment expenses for an employee earning a salary 

and

>>self-employed >> Self-employment income >> eg.

T2125 - Business income

I am assuming I might have to break down by percentage the usage between the employee and self-employed portions, and claim separately?

>>Yes - see above.

But with just one CCA submission?

>>Two CCA submissions IF CRA approves this.