Français

CVITP user, question about previous year and international student Tax return preparation

Volunteer54

Hello, I am just starting as volunteer with CVITP.

First question : I have downloaded 2022 and 2023 versions of UFile. If I need to file a return for 2021 should I request 2021 version as well.

* Note, I am aware for general users it might be different, I am asking for volunteers only. Should I download the versions for all the years I need to file, as the 2023 version is giving me option only for 2023 return, same for 2022.

Second question: If an international student ( in general eligible for CVITP services), starts learning in Canadian educational institution in 2021, but due to COVID-19 cannot enter the country and stays at his own country, learning online, what could be the status for that person for tax purposes in Canada for 2021? They have T2202A for 2021, 2022 and 2023.

Since this person wants to start filing his taxes in Canada, I am a bit confused about the 2021 situation. Should they request CRA to determine their residency situation, as there was an intention to be here, but they have been prevented due to Covid rules? Or do I start his tax returns filing from 2022, when They are already in Canada.

2022 and 2023 the person is in Canada and has also T4s for both years from placements.

TIA

Hello Volunteer54,

First question :

To download prior years :

https://www.ufile.ca/products/cvitp

Useful Links:

CRA CVITP website
Previous Versions: 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011.  < = = HERE

Second question :

Please contact the CRA :
1-800-959-8281 for inquiries related to individuals.
 Telephone numbers – Canada Revenue Agency / CRA wait times:
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/corporate/contact-information/telephone-numbers.html