Jump to content

Help, single parent with 19 year old working full time


Recommended Posts

My tax guy says I have to claim my son's income on my tax return. He just turned 19 this year 2024. Its just him and i in the household, I  work full time.  He also says I have to claim his income for 2021,2022 and 2023.

Is this true? Please advise as this really makes a big difference on my taxes if it's true. 

Thanks in advance. 


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello db711,

I do not know what your "tax guy" is referring to.  Your tax return and your son's tax return are separate, where each individual declares their separate  income and eligible credits eg. medical, tuition etc..  Ask him exactly what he is referring to.  You can also contact the CRA for clarification.


To contact CRA :

1-800-959-8281 for inquiries related to individuals.

 Telephone numbers – Canada Revenue Agency / CRA wait times:


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello db711,

Amount for an eligible dependent (aka equivalent to spouse amount)
You may be able to claim this amount if, at any time in the year, you met all the following conditions at once:
* You do not have a spouse or common-law partner;
* You supported a dependant in 2023; 
* You lived with the dependant in a home that you maintained. You cannot claim this amount for a person who was only visiting you.
In addition, at the time you met the above conditions, the dependant must also have been either. 
* Your parent or grandparent by blood relationship, marriage, common-law partnership or adoption; 
* Your child, your grandchildren, brother or sister and she is under 18 years of age or has, an impairment in physical or mental functions.

 To claim the amount for an eligible dependant, you must first create the dependant's file. To create this file, follow the steps below:
1. On the "Interview" tab, click on "Add dependant" on the line to the right;
2. On the page entitled "Dependant identification", enter the dependant's information. Please note that the lines followed by a red asterisk are mandatory fields.

3. If the dependant is an adult, you must complete the page
"CRA questions", as well as the "Revenu Québec questions" for residents of Quebec and claim the solidarity tax credit.
4. If you have multiple several dependents, repeat step 1.
 Once the dependant's file has been created, and you meet the eligibility criteria (see link below), the program will make the claim for the eligible dependant amount automatically with no additional entries required.
If you have 2 or more children, the program will automatically select the child for whom the eligible dependant amount will be claimed. However, if you want to choose a specific child for this claim, please follow these steps:
 1. On the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab" of the child's file, located on the left-hand side, click on "Controls".
2. Then, on the page appearing on the right, select "Let MaxBack decide" to the question "Claim this dependant as the eligible dependant on federal 30400?".
The program will claim the eligible dependant amount on line 30400 of the Federal return, and line 5816 of your provincial forms (other than Quebec, which does not have an equivalent form).
In addition, Schedule 5 will be generated by the program.
For additional information on the eligible dependant amount, please consult this link:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...